 General / 54442
Re: Has Lego begun producing "war toys"?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2008 19:29:12 GMT

In lugnet.general, Frank Filz wrote:

   It’s funny how it’s ok for kids to play at cowboys and indians (well, not so much the indians part any more) and pirates, both of which are genres that glorify killing and lawlessness. On the other hand, war (especially WWII which LEGO has had the most resistance to), which sure isn’t very pretty, does have some positive sides to it (ok, so it does take an agressor, but we usually don’t celebrate the aggressor the way we do with pirates).

Playing war is fantasy. It is, boiled to its essence, acting out the struggle between good and evil. Generally speaking, fantasy works well the more removed it is from reality. Space wars work great. The distant past works well, too. What doesn’t work so well is contemporary scenarios of conflict-- they just strike too close to home. The pain of WWI & WWII for Europe is not removed enough from reality for comfort and therefore taboo, especially for the Danish toymaker.

My .02,

JOHN