 General / 54739
Re: Has Lego begun producing "war toys"?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 29 Jun 2008 07:12:50 GMT

I agree with Karl. It makes a big difference which war is being represented. Indiana Jones provides a perfect opportunity to provide vehicles from World War II and the Cold War. LEGO will find them appropriate for their audience for exactly the same reason Speilberg found them appropriate for his audience. There is very little debate remaining on whether or not the Nazis or the Communists were bad guys.

A really bold move would be a Civil War theme. There wouldn’t be many vehicles to model, but there would be ships and buildings, minifigs and horses. It would probably look a lot like the Wild West themes. Modeling Civil War battlefields is a popular hobby among adults, but I don’t think kids are into it.

As far as the new Agents theme being a war toy, it really didn’t strike me that way. It seems a lot more like a James Bond type fantasy theme with completely fictional villains, like Batman and Star Wars.

And as far as coming up with a military-like space theme, I think Star Wars fills that role quite adequately. The good guys call themselves the Republic, and the bad guys call themselves the Empire.

Maybe an ancient Roman theme isn’t entirely out of the question. Playmobile has one.