 General / 54427
Subject:
Has Lego begun producing "war toys"?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2008 23:42:11 GMT

I am curious to hear folks opinions on this one. I happened across a pics in
brickshelf showing the boxes for new sets for 2008.  It is my understanding that
we do not allow links to leaks, so you will have to find it yourself.

Long and short, for the first time in LEGO history, Sets are being sold that are
neither "historical" (pirates, western) or a licensed product (star wars,
indiana jones) with modern looking weapons.

The sets are the "agents" series.  In the series is a fighter jet, a
"techinical" Jeep with mounted machine gun, and attack helicopter and the Batman
series pistol and the star wars sniper rifle are included in these sets. Box art
features minifigs shooting at each other.

Slightly mitigating these features are the lack of military uniforms,
non-military color scheme, and somewhat playfull james bond 'esque nature of the
playsets.

Between these sets and the German and Soviet military that we see in the Indiana
Jones sets, are we seeing a trend toward TLG being more willing to make the "war
toys" that the company delcared it would never make?

If so, does anybody care?

Personally, I am torn between my like for the Indy sets and my dissapointement
at this possible trend for TLG.

Re: Has Lego begun producing "war toys"?
Long and short, for the first time in LEGO history, Sets are being sold that are
neither "historical" (pirates, western) or a licensed product (star wars,
indiana jones) with modern looking weapons.

Good!

Re: Has Lego begun producing "war toys"?