 General / 54741
Re: Has Lego begun producing "war toys"?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 2008 14:49:53 GMT

In lugnet.general, Erin Howarth wrote:
   I agree with Karl. It makes a big difference which war is being represented. Indiana Jones provides a perfect opportunity to provide vehicles from World War II and the Cold War. LEGO will find them appropriate for their audience for exactly the same reason Speilberg found them appropriate for his audience. There is very little debate remaining on whether or not the Nazis or the Communists were bad guys.

Since the start of this thread, I have had a chance to examine the second wave of Indiana Jones sets and the entire Agents line in person and now might be a good time to revisit this thread. It seems like LEGO has a fairly obvious new policy.

Licensed lines: LEGO war toys in licensed lines are probably here to stay. I doubt we will see many, if any, armored vehicles and the like (though who knows), and it is likely that the “wars” will continue to be the ones with obvoius good-guys and bad-gusys. That said, LEGO has clearly been shown the profibability of portraying jeeps, machine guns soldiers in uniform.

LEGO lines: It’s pretty clear that outside of Licenses, LEGO is sticking hard to fantasy or historical (100 or more years ago) fighting only. Having the chance to see the agents line in person made them seem much less “military” than in previews. It’s pretty clear that there are guns and fights, but like (perhaps even more so than) the dino-fighters and exo-force, of the past, it’s pretty well confined to a clever cartoony fantasy environment with little real combat. Even the new castle lines, with clearly deliniated good vs. evil and dwarfs, trolls and “orcs” seem further removed from actual historical combat than sets from the Classic Castle era.

All in all, I think it’s a nice balance. Clearly LEGO’s position on “war” toys has shifted somewhat, but it’s nice to see that they seem to be taking their time and giving serious thought to the shift and it’s implications.