 General / 54447
Re: Has Lego begun producing "war toys"?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2008 00:01:47 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.general, John Neal wrote:
   Playing war is fantasy. It is, boiled to its essence, acting out the struggle between good and evil. Generally speaking, fantasy works well the more removed it is from reality. > JOHN

Thanks John, I think you put to words what many folks feel, but can’t articulate. In the US, WWII, has already reached the level of “myth” for most kids. This is of course an unfortunate by product of a collective refusal to honor history, but that’s a whole other can-o-worms.

I think LEGO has correctly judged that US customers at least will not mind buying Nazis (un-swastica-ed, but nazi’s nonetheless) to be defeated by the dashing Dr. Jones. WWII is long over and the culture collectively decided that fighting was the right choice. It is easy to mythologize a war when the agressor and loser was the Nazis.

LEGO could probably not want to try to get away with making modern military equipment. Such equipment would stir up -in parents- reminders of Vietnam, Iraq, Afganistan, and countless other wars around the world that are much more vivid in recent memory, and where good/evil, success/failure are not universally agreed upon. These wars are harder to mythologize.

Clearly LEGO is not making MI Abrahms’ and Apache’s, and it’s nearly impossible for me to imagine them doing so. However, a year ago I would have said the exact same thing about jeeps with guns, technicals, Wermachtt troopers and fighter jets.