 General / 52418
Re: What is your favorite MOC of all time?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2006 20:36:15 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jeff Van Winden wrote:
I regulary look at brickshelf for new creations, but I know that there are so
many other creations out there that I (or someone else for that matter) have
never seen. So I thought it would be intresting to see other MOCS there may be
out there..

What is your most favorite creation (MOC) by another builder?

Post a link if possible.

Jeff VW

Well, I'm gonna threadjack a little by posting my own favorite MOC that I built
myself.  It is a 20,000 piece Gothic Cathedral (mostly 1x1, 1x2, 1x3 and 1x4
bricks) that I started in 1996, and is still not 100% finished (like the real
Gothic cathedrals of Europe that took centuries, mine took a decade).  Germany's
Cologne Cathedral took 632 years to complete (1248-1880), so I don't feel so
bad.....

Here it is still under construction in 1998 just before the central tower fell
in a storm....

And here it is in 2005.....  with the south transept still not complete (but out
of view)....

It took me a long time until I got the facade the way I wanted it (with a
sculptural feel), and the great west window above the central portal is a SNOT
technique with clear bricks and 1x red plates.

My cathedral is red because back in 1996-2000 there was no such thing as
Bricklink, and the arches were only plentiful in many sizes in red (thanks to
over 30 plundered London Bus sets).  And it is built in the classic scale (door=
3 bricks tall) with a length of nearly 5 ft., and the central tower soaring
nearly 2 feet.

My future plans for the cathedral call for building a monastery complex around
the church, including a cloister, gate house, monastery walls and all the other
buildings associated with a monastery (such as water tower, granery, abbots
palace, chapter house, etc).

Just wish I had better pics...

Gary Istok