 General / 51989
Re: Announcing ILENN: the International LEGO Enthusiast News Network
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 1 Nov 2005 22:50:25 GMT

In lugnet.general, Bruce Hietbrink wrote:
   How are you gathering the news? It looks like you automatically read in articles from various blogs and websites, adding in some key word searches on varous news sites.

Exactly, I scoured the net for all LEGO-related RSS feeds I could find. I’ve also been talking with several LEGO enthusiast webmasters, all of whom have been supportive. The Yahoo link has been interesting, although it’s taken a new level of filtering to weed out the chaff... there are dozens of “news” stories that refer to something not even about LEGO, like: “Container cars stacked like giant LEGO bricks...”

   Do you want more blog feeds? Feel free to add Vignette Bricks if you’d like.

:) Thanks! Actually, I have - it’s in the DB, which shows 191 entries from VignetteBricks. Soon, it’ll be possible to click a channel and see all the news for that channel in reverse chronological order.

One of the things I should’ve mentioned before was we’re storing the RSS contents in a database, so they’ll all be searchable. Theoretically the stories will all remain clickable through their supplied global UID, but in practice some of the Yahoo links have died. Ah well.

I also should’ve listed the existing channels in ILENN before, but here they are (not all of them work properly):
  • Bionicle Sector 01
  • Brickfilms.com Latest Films
  • Brickley’s Words
  • Brickley’s Words Comments
  • BrickNebula Podcast
  • Brickportal.com RSS News
  • Bricks in my Pocket (BimP) BimPCast
  • Brickset
  • BZPower
  • Golden Shpleem
  • ILENN Paradise
  • ILTCO: International LEGO Train Club Organization
  • Jake McKee’s LEGO® Blog
  • Latest News at LEGOFan.org
  • LEGO Sets on Amazon.com
  • Mouse Network Blog
  • neutronbot
  • Recent News from Peeron.com
  • The Unofficial LEGO Builder’s Guide Blog
  • The Unofficial LEGO Builder’s Guide Blog Comments
  • VignetteBricks
  • Weekly LEGO Shop at Home specials, brought to you by LEGOFan.org
  • Yahoo! News - Search Results for bionicle
  • Yahoo! News - Search Results for lego
Very soon I’d like to put up a Stats page, with a bunch of info about the stories, how often the’ve been clicked, and so on.

And if anybody else would like to see their content on ILENN, please let me know! There’s a channel submission page that’s nearing completion, just needs some testing and interface tweaks. In the meantime, go ahead and email me the RSS link.

   One glitch I see - If you scale the text (since it’s pretty small on my screen - Mozilla 1.7.5 on a Mac with the display set to 1280x854), the boxes that contain the text don’t scale, so the text gets hidden behind the edges of the boxes as it gets bigger.

Thanks, I’ll take a look at that one. The CSS has been kind of problematic, and I’m fighting with some of the styles that don’t work quite right from one browser or platform to another. I began with an implementation that scaled the columns, but that was somewhat problematic.

Long ways to go, but the hardest part is pretty much over, I think.

Kelly