 Announcements / 3082
3081  |  3083
Subject:
Announcing ILENN: the International LEGO Enthusiast News Network
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 1 Nov 2005 06:51:44 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

For the last few months I’ve been working on a news project for the LEGO community. It’s not even near done, however it’s high time for a preliminary look.

http://www.ilenn.com/dev/index2.php

This page will display LEGO-related news from many different sources. The initial alpha release pulls news in hourly and displays it accordingly. There are many features that are not yet implemented, but are currently being worked on. These upcoming features will include:
  • Localized language (e.g. German, Spanish, French, Japanese, and so on)
  • Personalized settings (e.g. specify different sources, views, aggregated news feeds, etc.)
  • Submission of LEGO news sources
  • Custom news entry form
  • Search old LEGO-related news
There are currently 26 news sources that have pumped in more than 6,500 news articles, which will be searchable sometime shortly.

It’s my hope that providing this sneak peek will spur development efforts, since I sometimes have a tendency to stall if I don’t have a deadline (right, Joe?) and I figure announcing this publicly will provide me with a kick in the butt.

So what does the future hold?

As development progresses, I’m hopeful that some others in the community will help - especially with language localization, and providing RSS (news) feeds from their own LEGO-related web sites.

The more LEGO-specific sources are available, the more useful this tool can be. I’ll be happy to work with LEGO-related content owners (e.g. fan sites) that would like to provide news feeds in RSS format.

I’d like to thank those who’ve helped with this, especially Dan Boger and Jake McKee, and to webmasters who’ve already added RSS feeds, including Kyle Keppler.

Kelly McKiernan