 General / 43532
Re: Improved Pick-A-Brick packing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 16:05:35 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jeff Reuland wrote:
Your pattern looks like it will hold a little more, but without a picture I
have a hard time figuring it out.

   I have some pictures up now of how both packing methods fill the main part of
the cup.  Not shown are packing the bottom groove (18 1x2's) and the lid (4 2x4
bricks and 6 1x1's) as they are both straight forward.

   The moderated folder is http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=63112
and comments for individual pictures are below.

   The first picture http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=574087
shows the 7x7 core block (built from any bricks that interest you, but best if
it holds together as a unit) and one of the 4 edge-filling constructions built
from 2x4 plates and 2x4 bricks. (Note: There is a 2x2 1-plate thick gap on the
bottom of the edge-filler construction.)

   The second picture http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=574088
shows how they fit into the cup.  (Note: All 4 edge-fillers are the same shape,
but due to a temporary shortage of 2x4 plates I built some of them using
alternate pieces.)  The empty spaces at each corner can hold a stack of 7 1x1's
and a stack of 3 1x1's.  Also, the edge-filling pieces press down into the cup
enough to fit a stack of 5 1x2's laying on top.

    The above packing method sacrifices some bricks to increase the total cubic
brick volume.

   The last 3 pictures are for the cone construction that doesn't use any
plates.  This picture http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=574089
shows the cone, note that the 2 rows of yellow bricks interlock with each other
and are built first to give a stable platform for building the rest.  What
bricks you use depends on what you want.

   Here is the cone upside down next to the cup
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=574090 and finally placed into
the cup http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=574092.

   This packing method leaves a small gap on each side which is big enough to
hold a single 2x4 plate, but to pack them requires some tape to hold them to the
sides of the cone.  Each plate is positioned vertically near the mid-point, flat
against the side.

   ---------

   If Pick-A-Brick included smaller plate sizes (1x2 or 1x3) even more could be
packed in.

Brian H. Nielsen