 General / 3125
Re: Tomcat for view
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 1999 19:02:39 GMT

The main landinggear movement is controlled by three gears, 2 24 tooth
normal gears and 1 24 tooth cam-gear (if that's the name of it). One of the
24 tooth gears is locked, the other is the driving one. They are placed
opposite of each other with 2 studs space between them. The cam gear is
positioned to connect both gears. If you still understand this:
The axle of the cam gear is used to orientate the landinggear (confusing
that gearing stuff). I have used some little technic pieces to make a 360
degree ball-joint in between the two normal gears and voila, when you turn
the driving wheel, the cam wheel will roll itself up and rotate at the same
time.
Now you still have to work out the problem of making it turn so that the
wheel is on top of the landinggear when retracted, and you have got to fix
the axle of the fixed gear to make sure that the landinggear is pointed
straight to the front when in standing position, but that's even more
details.
I hope you understand it, otherwise I should get myself some time to reload
(I accidently plugged the drain on my harddisc lately) all the LDRAW stuff
and draw it.
This configuration works well, but it doesn't look like the real thing. So
Terry can you explain or show me how you did it?

Happy building

Jeroen Ottens (private mail)

PS This (private mail) message doesn't appear all the time. This doesn't
mean the message is suddenly approved of by my superiors. It mainly means I
forgot to enter it. I think more official messages can be recognized when
they do appear.

Terry K <legoverse@geocities.com> wrote in article
<36e370ae.575290@lugnet.com>...
<snip>

I would like to see a detail of how you did the main landing gear.  When • I
started my (aborted) attempt at an F-14, that is what I started with. • Mine
worked very well, rotating 90 degrees as it moved up into the wing root, • but it
was not suspended.   Mine works very similar to the real thing, as I • tried to
copy the actual thing using a type of draglink to perform the rotation.
I still have it together, on the off chance that I may someday get • inspired to
continue with the project.  :-)
My idea was to go for looks, rather than function as you did.   So
mechanically, all I was going to do was the main and nose gear, and the • wing
retraction.  My idea was to have the landing gears and the wing sweep to • be
manually operated by rotating the engine tail cones.  I figured they • would make
good crank handles.  :-)

I suppose I should LDraw the gear assembly (if the pieces are available)

-- Terry K --