 General / 3118
Re: Tomcat for view
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 1999 06:49:00 GMT

On Sun, 7 Mar 1999 13:49:17 GMT, "Jeroen Ottens" <ottens@get2net.dk> wrote:
Then of course there is the weight problem. Lego has only one dimension of
axles. The rear landingwheels turn in two directions when retracted. That
is the wheel comes to the front, but also turns so that it can lay flat in
the wing area. It took me some time to get the mechanics working allright,
but then I use a special support in the back of the landinggear so that not
all the weight comes on the axles. As you can see are the suspensions
totally pressed because of the weight. When I drive around with the model I
have to be very carefull that I don't make a wrong move, otherwise the
plane will just crash through the landinggears. The bigger the model, the
bigger this problem becomes.

I would like to see a detail of how you did the main landing gear.  When I
started my (aborted) attempt at an F-14, that is what I started with.  Mine
worked very well, rotating 90 degrees as it moved up into the wing root, but it
was not suspended.   Mine works very similar to the real thing, as I tried to
copy the actual thing using a type of draglink to perform the rotation.
I still have it together, on the off chance that I may someday get inspired to
continue with the project.  :-)
My idea was to go for looks, rather than function as you did.   So
mechanically, all I was going to do was the main and nose gear, and the wing
retraction.  My idea was to have the landing gears and the wing sweep to be
manually operated by rotating the engine tail cones.  I figured they would make
good crank handles.  :-)

I suppose I should LDraw the gear assembly (if the pieces are available)

-- Terry K --