 General / 3108
Re: Tomcat for view
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 7 Mar 1999 13:49:17 GMT

Even if I had the pieces I still wouldn't make a closed surface model. It
simply doesn't look good. This plane has been build on a scale of 1:24 but
to get the round curves right in Lego I should build it much larger.
The other problem is that I wanted all the functionality in the plane I
could get. Making an outer hull would take away invaluable space. In real
the plane is already stuffed to the max and it uses only a few millimeters
thick skin. Image that in Lego, to get the same dimensions I should build
it actually bigger than the real thing! (Which is over 25 meters)
Then of course there is the weight problem. Lego has only one dimension of
axles. The rear landingwheels turn in two directions when retracted. That
is the wheel comes to the front, but also turns so that it can lay flat in
the wing area. It took me some time to get the mechanics working allright,
but then I use a special support in the back of the landinggear so that not
all the weight comes on the axles. As you can see are the suspensions
totally pressed because of the weight. When I drive around with the model I
have to be very carefull that I don't make a wrong move, otherwise the
plane will just crash through the landinggears. The bigger the model, the
bigger this problem becomes.
Anyway I enjoyed building it (actually I still enjoy building it) and I'm
glad you enjoy looking at it.

Happy building (and looking),

Jeroen Ottens