 Gaming / BrikWars / 315
Subject:
The steampunk skiff 'Egregious'
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming.brikwars, lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.pirates, lugnet.build.schleim, lugnet.adventurers
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2007 13:37:42 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Loosely inspired by some gorgeous SW Sail Barge MOCs on Brickshelf, NELUG’s latest [1] Brikwars game featured a steampunk skiff battle set above the desolate Kar’Zuba desert. Every skiff represented a Trading Guild, and upon arrival at the outskirts of a potential market town each captain decided to try and “thin the competition” a bit.

My contribution to the fight was the Egregious, a Dragonfly-Class Torpedo Gunboat. Its steam powerplant (located in a protective cast-iron bathtub within the hull) powers three heavy-lift main rotors, as well as a pair of outboard steam-turbine-driven manuevering props.

(Apologies for any photographic color issues. I’m still experimenting with some lighting techniques, and I’m not pleased several of these images.)

The design of the Egregious was heavily influenced by American PT boats of WWII. I tried to emulate the deck shape closely, and then modified the hull to accommodate the large rotor fans. I used a studs-out technique I’ve been developing for a couple of other projects. The deck and hull are built in two halves, with the studs facing out to either side. The two halves are then connected to each other using technic beams (buried under the deck). There are a number of advantages to this methods: for one thing, the deck comes out smooth without a single tile being employed, and bricks on their side make for great planking. Secondly, it is easy to build this style with a hollo interior - though I didn’t worry about this so much in this case (except for the cargo/steamplant bay under the pilothouse). Lastly, this method provides 1-plate fidelity for detouring the complicated contours of a hull. The result is also incredibly sturdy and robust; I’ve swooshed this skiff around the house for weeks, and it’s easily survived short falls (being knocked off its clear legstands multiple times, for example). The communications mast used to fall off incessantly, but that problem disappeared once I attached the guy wires.

The black flag-panels on the railings were intended to simply act as armor plates to provide the crew with cover; in retrospect, I like how they lend a Victorian wrought-iron feel to the railings.

Also like the PT boats, I tried to pack this ship full of weapons. The standard armament includes: - 2 heavy cannons (40-pounders) - 4 swivel guns (8 pounders) - 2 grappling guns - 2 MkIII steam torpedos - Assorted small arms and boarding weapons, including musket, flintlock pistols, sabers, boarding axes, etc.

The skiff is also shown carrying a pair of “Bouncing Beatrix” Frog Mines, and a pair of standard constant-altitude aerial mines. These would typically only be carried on border patrol missions.

The standard crew complement is 16: The captain, first mate, a pair of mechanics/technicians to effect the inevitable in-flight repairs, 4 gunners specifically trained with the heavy guns, and 8 troopers to man the swivel guns and engage in boarding attempts.

The game, by the way, was great. We played for about 10 hours (!) and had a pretty clear victor (Wayne) by the end. 6 skiffs entered the fray, and there was every form of battle imaginable: gunfire, ramming, boarding actions, hand-to-hand. Even the dreaded Sandworms of Kar’Zuba got into the action, gorging on troopers abaonding their skiffs as they went down. Photos of the game itself can be seen here.

-Shaun

[1] For the record books, this was NELUG’s 34th Brikwars game - and that doesn’t include some games we’ve put on for public events such as Ourcon 17 (Amherst, MA) and Brick Blast (Middlebury, VT).

Re: The steampunk skiff 'Egregious'
In lugnet.gaming.brikwars, Shaun Sullivan wrote:
   Loosely inspired by some gorgeous SW Sail Barge MOCs on Brickshelf, NELUG’s latest [1] Brikwars game featured a steampunk skiff battle set above the desolate Kar’Zuba desert. Every skiff represented a Trading Guild, and upon arrival at the outskirts of a potential market town each captain decided to try and “thin the competition” a bit.

My contribution to the fight was the Egregious, a Dragonfly-Class Torpedo Gunboat. Its steam powerplant (located in a protective cast-iron bathtub within the hull) powers three heavy-lift main rotors, as well as a pair of outboard steam-turbine-driven manuevering props.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=261935 http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sullis3/BRIKWARSGAMES/SkiffFight/Egregious/egregious04.jpg

--snip--

-Shaun

[1] For the record books, this was NELUG’s 34th Brikwars game - and that doesn’t include some games we’ve put on for public events such as Ourcon 17 (Amherst, MA) and Brick Blast (Middlebury, VT).

That’s rather incredibly cool. I particularly like how it’s quite ‘realistic’ within its own logic: the grilles over the fans, the cannnon balls, the equipment. Most excellent steampunk.

The split hull construction is particularly effective. It’s probably a good way of doing boat hulls too.

Tim

Re: The steampunk skiff 'Egregious'
In lugnet.gaming.brikwars, Shaun Sullivan wrote:
   Loosely inspired by some gorgeous SW Sail Barge MOCs on Brickshelf, NELUG’s latest [1] Brikwars game featured a steampunk skiff battle set above the desolate Kar’Zuba desert.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=261935 -Shaun

Wow! Very inpressive. Excellent details, weaponry and such.

This is also a great example in my book of how to use the two different browns together. The two different tones add so much to this.

Simply fabulous.

Best,

Jonathan

Re: The steampunk skiff 'Egregious'