 Gaming / 427
Re: Brickfest 2000 Pirate Game Postmortem
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 14:15:52 GMT

Mr L F Braun wrote:
   Just to get it on the table, as it were, I'm currently in MI
   and so both the mortars and the digital camera are in NJ.  I'm
   not yet very facile with ldraw so I'll have to take a big ol'
   mess o' digipix and hope that their simplicity seems obvious. I
   ought to be able to take photos tomorrow night or Thursday; if
   all want to see them, I'll post the URLs here, else I can email
   them straight to Frank/Steve/whomever.

Go ahead and upload to Brickshelf. Please do some dissassembly if there
is anything which might not be clear from the final model.

   And to address said same Steve Jackson's comment regarding the
   siege mortar and pre-sighting a chunk of ocean, I *love* the
   diabolical possibilities!  ;)  The only problem, of course, will
   be to find a way to specify a chunk of sea reliably without it
   being such common knowledge that the pirates stay away like the
   plague! (This is why I didn't include such a possibility, but
   who knows...?)  In any case, I'm counting on others to serve as
   the brake upon my tendency to overenumerate rules in the name
   of King Complexity of Accuracia.

At this point, it will be early July before I get a chance to read the
seige mortar rules in depth and comment on them (but I hope Steve will
get a chance to take a look, though his immediate future schedule is
probably almost as busy as mine with Dragoncon next weekend).

As far as pre-sighting a spot, I think the fortress player can have
everyone but the head GM turn away while pointing to a spot (or if the
head GM is playing the fort, he can point out the spot to a group of
players not involved with the fort). Another way would be to write the
spot down on paper (estimating ranges from landmarks - and it would
probably be fair to use a pirate ship as a landmark, you just need to
ask the pirate player to leave a marker where his ship was, pointing in
the direction of the ship - the way you would use this is specifying a
sighting like '12" in front of the Pink Princess', the idea being that
you are assuming the Pink Princess will continue straight for 12".

The seige mortar sighting should be made at the same time initiative 1
ships are plotting movement. I would also allow the seige mortar to take
opportunity fire. Actually, I'd allow any fortress cannon to take
opportunity fire, however, such fire should be limited to a target
within a narrow wedge in the direction the cannon is pointing at the
beginning of the turn (and the fortress owner can turn the cannon during
the initiative 1 movement plotting phase).

The actual effects of opportunity fire could not actually apply until
the cannon shooting phase (in otherwards, if a mast is toppled or the
ship loses enough crew that it is no longer able to be properly handled,
you would't take that into consideration, likewise if a cannon were
destroyed or cannon crew killed, the ship could still fire that cannon).

It might also be worthwhile to allow ships to use opportunity fire. We
had a few situations in the pirate game where ships passed each others
broadsides, but the final positions left a ship not able to bring their
broadside to bear. Unfortunately, this probably adds too much
complexity, and there is something to be said for skilled navigation to
allow avoidance of the enemies broadside.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com