 Gaming / 421
Re: Brickfest 2000 Pirate Game Postmortem
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 09:09:44 GMT

Steve Jackson wrote in message ...
Aha! It looks like I can now read/post to the Lugnet web interface! Unless of
course this message does not show up, in which case, ignore the above.

Hooray! Welcome aboard matey, or should that be captain...

One issue later in the game was how to work with a younger player.

Yes, I continue to struggle with this. The young ones really enjoy themselves,
but sometimes they do things that annoy adults (e.g., pick up their ships and
walk around with them)

Probably the best thing to do is just let the younger player do as they will, so long as they don't do something which directly
affects another player. Having a special prize for younger players would also be good (have some spare pirate props, and a small set
just for them).

- let some assistant GMs run a bunch of NPC ships.

Yes. I've found that many people think that this is just as much fun as actually
playing. An assistant GM can control an Imperial warship, roleplay it fully, and
really enjoy himself, even though he can't be the "winner" of the game.

Great. Of course no reason one can't have something prizelike to reward the best assistant(s). I think in many cases, one doesn't
need to have a "winner" of the game (at least if something like the campaign style is being done), so prizes will end up being
awarded to those who accomplished something, or just impressed the GM(s).

RULES:

Simpler damage charts for NPC ships would help

?? You can just ignore the parts you don't use . . .

Hmm, not sure what I was getting at here...

Another note for ship record sheets, the effects of the various types of damage need to be listed. Also a quick reference to crew
actions (in fact, many of these things may be more imporant than the damage charts - unless one wants to customize the damage charts
to the particular ship (which could be good).

. . . the game also
has to move at a pace such that over the course of a few hours, islands get
plundered, ships get robbed of their cargo, and an occasional prize is
taken).

Yes. As the game develops, I am throwing out more and more of the things that
don't directly contribute to ACTIVE sailing around, fighting and plundering.

Will we be seeing a 2nd edition of the rules soon? If so, I suggest maintaining the 1st edition for those who might still want some
of the complex options (if you still have them, you might also want to publish the various rules you have removed as "optional"
rules or "fyi" notes, that can be useful in determining what NOT to go and add).

The weather was a real drag. We played almost the entire game under a light
wind from the west. I used the pre-generated chart, and several times, even
though the 5 or 6 roll to change the weather came up, the next line on the
chart was the same.

Arrrr. I thought I had rooted out all those. I just went back to my source and
found 3 and fixed them. Sorry . . . At any rate, if you find the wind is not
changing enough, you can make
it change on a 4-6, or just TELL the players it has changed  :-)

Well, what do you know, it looks like the portion of the weather chart we ended up using had two of those three repeats... When I
have a chance to re-read the rules, I'll probably make some suggestions.

Things like turning radius and pursuit rules perhaps should appear on the
record sheets (need to think about some rules to summarize on the record
sheets)

Good point re: turning radius. I'm no longer using the pursuit rules at all ...

Some kind of pursuit randomness would have helped in the chase we ended up with. It could be a simple thing though, if you have what
looks to be a chase which is going to get drawn out, simply roll  2d6:

2-3 ship in front gains 2"
4-5 ship in front gains 1"
6-8 no gains
9-10 ship in back gains 1"
11-12 ship in back gains 2"

A ship with some kind of skill advantage aboard would get to adjust the roll by one in their favor.

- wind speed variation seemed to add complexity without much value (wind
direction change on the other hand is worthwhile)

Next time I revise the rules, I will double the "standard" wind speed. Makes
things move much faster, so to speak.

For our play area, we didn't need to double the speeds, we just needed to not have a long period of time under a light wind. I'd be
real inclined to just have two wind speeds though.

- maximum ranges for cannon might be worthwhile, though no one ever tried to
shoot from one side of the ocean to the other, in fact, only a few shots
were ever taken at more than 18", and I think 30" or so was the maximum
range a shot was ever fired at.

A FAQ is "what's the maximum range?" As the rules are written, it just gets
harder and harder to hit . . . I really ought to figure out the utter absolute
all-bonuses-applied max range just so I can answer that question, but most
people are satisfied with "Beyond 3 feet it will take dumb luck to hit."

Yea, I don't think it's a problem.

SUGGESTED CHANGES:

- Detail out the rules for all the creatures (these need not be revealed of
course)

I thought I had detailed creature rules on the site. No?

The rules cover the "normal" creatures, but not dinos and skeletons and other such fun things which might be added. I don't think
this is bad, I think this is an area for GM customization.

- need smaller rulers for personal combat

Heh. Send me your address and I'll send you a batch of the little 6" rulers SJ
Games made up for giveaways!

Ok, will do in an e-mail. Of course with the idea of the LEGO range sticks, I'll just make up a bunch of 6" range sticks which would
do the trick (well, 9" might be better).

Darn, I have just GOT to make it to a Brickfest sometime . . . or maybe try to
host a Piratefest here in Austin. Wonder how many people would come to Austin
just for a weekend of brick-trading and Arrrrr!  ??

Oh I'd think about coming. I'd have to fly, and thus wouldn't be able to bring much, but it would be fun.

Frank