Re: Dragon Lore
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 23:03:43 GMT

In lugnet.castle.org.cw, Craig Hamilton writes:
hi y'all ~

do you like the lego dragon figure?  i love it and think it's a beautiful
design.  i admire the shared modularity of the skull and tail with the
"gator-dile" figure.  the great design also shows in the way the wing, when
raised, follows the curved lines of the haunch and the smaller wings on the
back of the head. when folded down, the wing again follows the curve of the
haunch and the the wing "thumb" fits nice and neatly between the spikes of
the raised arm.  the shape is angular and geometric like lego, but also
organic with an elegant curved art nouveau style.  i think the lego dragon
is just beautiful!

Am I the oddball out? I don't particularly care for the dragon-- mainly due to
its lack of mobility :( It's great for that one pose that it's stuck in, but
I'd LOVE it if could bend its head (either side to side or up and down) or
could lower and raise its neck, or even if just the legs would bend (you could
make the dragon stoop in pre-striking pose!) But as is it just seems way too
static :( I will say that I love its form, though! As a static model, it works
great!

they are great in green and black, but 'd love to see
TLC make red or orange ones!

Yes! I'd love pretty much ANY other colors-- with the possible exception of
pink, or any trans-colors.

in mythology and symbolism, dragons mean a great many different things.  a
complex and universal symbol, the dragon is generally the combination of
matter and spirit.  in different mythologies, the dragon can be good, evil,
or neutrally ambivalent.

as in our world, the dragons in Castle World will have many different
meanings and identities, as per balladeer!.  i'd love to hear some!

guardians of treasure!  forces of nature!  savage mounts for fierce
warriors!  portals of esoteric knowledge!  beloved pets!  nemesis of
knights!  or just plain wild creatures!

what are your dragons up to?

My dragons are generally considered a little of everything-- they are kind of
like humans in terms of intellectual potential: if taught, they wind up
intelligent. If not, they end up wild. And the identity of the teacher
determines a great deal of the dragon's behavior. Dragons typically live for
several hundred years, and mature very slowly. In nature they are more solitary
animals, although they are not without social behavior. It might be well to say
that dragons are just big introverts. That can breathe fire. They are primarily
carnivores, but some species can be omnivorous. As favorite beasts of
magicians, there are also many unique dragons with their own special
characteristics-- altered by their creators and masters. In short, for me,
dragons are everything :)

Here's an interesting side note--
Way back about 15? years ago or so, there was a made-for-TV animated movie
"Flight Of Dragons". It had John Ritter, James Earl Jones, music by Don
McLean... We actually found it at a Blockbuster Video not too long ago and
rented it for fun... Anyway, the thing that always intreuged me was that it
scientifically explained dragon fire and dragon flight... it was rather cool...

The way they had it, dragons ate limestone. And consumed diamonds... Odd? Yes.
They explained that the diamonds were used to help grind up the limestone, just
like some birds eat small pebbles and 'grit' to grind the seeds they eat. Then,
the limestone, when combined with stomach acid, gives off hydrogen gas (and
also some salt, I believe). Now of course, hydrogen gas is lighter than air,
which helps greatly to reduce the dragons weight! Hence, when a dragon
contracts its body, it gets denser, and when it expands its body, it gets
lighter... The rest is left to the wings to get them moving...

Finally, dragons have a small 'thimble' in their mouth which can produce a
small electric charge (kinda like an electric eel). And of course we all know
what happens when electricity gets in contact with hydrogen gas, don't we?
Remember the Hindenburg? Pow! So by releasing gas, they're capable of breathing
out fire. But as they do this, they loose some of their flying potential.. so
when in flight, they need to expand more to maintain their altitude, or simply
start to loose it until they reach the ground.

Anyway, it's not quite FEASIBLE, but at least it makes sense!

Laterz!
DaveE