Re: Dragon Lore
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 19:21:50 GMT

In lugnet.castle.org.cw, Craig Hamilton writes:
hi y'all ~

do you like the lego dragon figure?  i love it and think it's a beautiful
design.  i admire the shared modularity of the skull and tail with the
"gator-dile" figure.  the great design also shows in the way the wing, when
raised, follows the curved lines of the haunch and the smaller wings on the
back of the head. when folded down, the wing again follows the curve of the
haunch and the the wing "thumb" fits nice and neatly between the spikes of
the raised arm.  the shape is angular and geometric like lego, but also
organic with an elegant curved art nouveau style.  i think the lego dragon
is just beautiful!  they are great in green and black, but 'd love to see
TLC make red or orange ones!

in mythology and symbolism, dragons mean a great many different things.  a
complex and universal symbol, the dragon is generally the combination of
matter and spirit.  in different mythologies, the dragon can be good, evil,
or neutrally ambivalent.

as in our world, the dragons in Castle World will have many different
meanings and identities, as per balladeer!.  i'd love to hear some!

guardians of treasure!  forces of nature!  savage mounts for fierce
warriors!  portals of esoteric knowledge!  beloved pets!  nemesis of
knights!  or just plain wild creatures!

what are your dragons up to?

I think the Dragon-fig is really cool!  I bought my first one very recently
when I found the Witch's Windship for $5 at KB toy.  I bought the set just to
get the dragon.  Then, the first three people that I showed it to wanted one,
so I've been giving them away (to non-AFOLs, no less) as fast as I can buy
them.  I just bought a few 6097s (ok, "a few" = 10) for castle parts, so I now
have a whole legion of black dragons.  I even have a pair of dragons (one
green, one black) here at work to scare the bugs out of my code.

This figure is really well designed, as one might expect from TLC.  The
geometrical details are superb, and the figure poses very nicely.  The re-use
of pre-existing "bricks" for the head and tail is very "LEGO."  Oh, by the
way, the 2000 catalog shows a T-Rex figure that will use the same arms.

I love the way they look like they're laughing when you open their mouths!  I
just wish that the hands could rotate at the wrists.  Dragons look pretty
silly when they're holding a magic wand or sceptre sideways!

I am currently building a Dragon's Lair for the castle-oriented window display
that NELUG is putting together.  It will be piled with treasure, confiscated
weapons, and the bones of the poor, brave souls who tried (and failed) to
vanquish the beast.  I'm just trying to figure out the best way to construct a
dragon egg out of LEGO...