Re: Dragon Lore
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 23:52:53 GMT

In lugnet.castle.org.cw, David Eaton writes:
Here's an interesting side note--
Way back about 15? years ago or so, there was a made-for-TV animated movie
"Flight Of Dragons". It had John Ritter, James Earl Jones, music by Don
McLean... We actually found it at a Blockbuster Video not too long ago and
rented it for fun... Anyway, the thing that always intreuged me was that it
scientifically explained dragon fire and dragon flight... it was rather
cool...

The way they had it, dragons ate limestone. And consumed diamonds... Odd? Yes.
They explained that the diamonds were used to help grind up the limestone,
just like some birds eat small pebbles and 'grit' to grind the seeds they eat.
Then, the limestone, when combined with stomach acid, gives off hydrogen gas
(and also some salt, I believe). Now of course, hydrogen gas is lighter than
air, which helps greatly to reduce the dragons weight! Hence, when a dragon
contracts its body, it gets denser, and when it expands its body, it gets
lighter... The rest is left to the wings to get them moving...

Finally, dragons have a small 'thimble' in their mouth which can produce a
small electric charge (kinda like an electric eel). And of course we all know
what happens when electricity gets in contact with hydrogen gas, don't we?
Remember the Hindenburg? Pow! So by releasing gas, they're capable of
breathing out fire. But as they do this, they loose some of their flying
potential.. so when in flight, they need to expand more to maintain their
altitude, or simply start to loose it until they reach the ground.

Anyway, it's not quite FEASIBLE, but at least it makes sense!

Laterz!
DaveE

Hey!  I know that movie!  It was on TV, like, a year ago!  Can't remember the
channel, but it was probably Disney, SciFi, or Family...  They'll probably air
it again sometime...

Jeff