Re: A spark of Life (was: CW is dead)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Thu, 4 Sep 2003 02:41:22 GMT

With that said, I see that we need a little less conversation and a little more
action please...

Trying trying!

I see how a square-grid map would be easier to administrate, but it sometimes
makes a game seem more rigid in its style.  Or perhaps each realm is not limited
to one square.  Then realms could sprawl over many miles, or sit quietly on a
single square.

Grid map would not be used for big lands, but for movement. Say, in a single
turn, a person could do just so much stuff and move just so far.

How would war and conquest be managed?  Probably by good storytelling.  Each
side could have two or three "turns" at telling their response to a battle.  The
overall administrator ("Archbishop"?  "King"?) would hear each side's story and
give a verdict as to who won the war/battle/skirmish and award land as he sees
fit.  If a realm desires only peace and quiet, it could be said that it lies in
a magical invisible valley, is protected by ancient magic, etc.  I think I would
find CW wars fun!

I dont like the report thing. One side says that they win, and the other side
says that they win. Then you decide which happened? It just doesnt sound
right...
Then there could be the GM being sided to one party he likes.

The map need not be a "Finite World" map.  Whenever there is a need for more
land (for expanding or new kingdoms/realms), the administrator (or Image Cleric)
would create a new map to be added on to the side of the existing map.  Here's a
little more clarification:

Again, somone contributes that wasnt even trying! What i was going for was this:
Map of the MM, map of the MMs surrounding town, and then maps of varios outlying
areas. In CastleQuest you start out from the IOM, travel around, and then go
into the wild.

CW starts with a map of the land.  It might be 20x20 with fairly small squares
(to better manage warlike activities).  General terrain is shown, as well as the
borders of realms.  Now say, in two years, this map is full of realms and has no
unexplored areas; or a realm has explored a square that is adjacent to, but not
on the map.  The Image Cleric now makes another map to be placed adjacent to the
existing one.  Mountain ranges, bodies of water, and coastlines must be
consistent, but otherwise the land is wild, new, and unexplored.

This is more like another alternate idea i was going for, which was lands that
would have stuff happening in them, but you could have adventures in. In other
words, more like a plot you play in rather then an RPG.

Towns, forts, and castles must be "built" by the admin. of each realm
("Lords"/"Ladies"?  "Barons"?).  Services and public works projects would be
constructed in-character.

I was thinking more like the person who wants a town build the buildings, rather
than an admin.

Players need not have their own realm.  A person might have a small party or
single adventurer to wander through the other realms and create stories.  The
possibilities for this kind of playing are infinite.

What i was thinking was either you could make a kingdom of your own or do as you
said and wander around through others and explore by themselves.

Of course, the system outlined above requires commitment similar to that of
Starship.  If .castlers are willing to put in the effort, however, this could be
a very fun and productive game!

I dont have much time, and tommorow is virtually killed for me. But i will give
the commitment. It will take the commitment of others, too.
Anyway, seeya round!

Andrew