 CAD / 14946
Re: Previous step color scaling
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2007 14:17:40 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Travis Cobbs wrote:
   In lugnet.cad, Jaco van der Molen wrote:
   In lugnet.cad, Jim DeVona wrote:
   In lugnet.cad, Jaco van der Molen wrote:

   And how can one create building instructions without access to a *nix machine (what is that anyway :-) and no cygwin components on a Windows PC?

Well, that’s what LPub does, right?

LOL! I know (ofcourse). I wrote it wrong. I ment: how can one use the script Travis provided to insert the PreL3P codes into the LDraw files :-)

Try the following (assumes Win2K/WinXP):
  • Download cygwin from http://www.cygwin.com/ (click the “Install or update now!” link)
  • Run cygwin’s setup.exe file that you downloaded
  • Follow the instructions for a default install and choose a working mirror. (I used mirror.rhsmith.umd.edu after much trial and error.)
  • Start->Run: cmd
  • Note the directory that you’re in, and explore to there in Windows Explorer
  • Create a file named StepFade.sh (or whatever you want to call the script) in that directory, and paste the contents of my script text into that file. Modify the bits that I said to modify to suit your setup
  • Start->All Programs->Cygwin->Cygwin Bash Shell
  • Change into the directory containing your step files using the cd command. Note that cygwin is very strange with paths, so instead of C:, you use /cygdrive/c. Also, instead of \ (back slash) in paths, you use / (forward slash). So to go to C:\ldraw\models\TestModel, you would type the following:
cd /cygdrive/c/ldraw/models/TestModel
  • Run the script like so:
~/StepFade.sh Model*.ldr
  • (Replace Model above with the base filename of your model.)
Let me know if you have any questions or problems.

Some notes about the above:
  • The directory you start out in when you run cmd is your USERPROFILE directory in Windows. In cygwin, this is considered to be your home directory.
  • In the bash shell (and all other unix shells), ~ maps to your home directory, so ~/StepFade.sh tells it to run the StepFade.sh script that’s located in your home directory. That’s why I had you place the script there. Alternatively, you can place it in C:\cygwin\usr\local\bin, and it will be in the path in cygwin, allowing you to just run it. (This assumes that you install cygwin into the C:\cygwin directory. If you put it elsewhere, adjust accordingly.)

Or if you’re really, really scared of cygwin, this StepFade.bat file might work on XP. But I didn’t test it all that much, and I don’t claim to know all the nuances of the old DOS fc and find commands. The unix diff and grep commands are so much easier to use.

@ECHO OFF

:Expand wildcard args and create a real file list.
IF EXIST #files.txt DEL #files.txt
:makelist
IF "%1."=="." GOTO gotlist
FOR %%i IN (%1) DO ECHO %%i >> #files.txt
SHIFT
GOTO makelist
:gotlist

:Process the files in that list and then clean up.
SET prevfile=
:fileloop
    FOR /F %%f IN (#files.txt) DO CALL :eachfile %%f
    IF EXIST #files.txt DEL #files.txt
    IF EXIST tmpfile.txt DEL tmpfile.txt
    IF EXIST tmpfile2.txt DEL tmpfile2.txt
    GOTO done

:Subroutine to process each file in the list.
:eachfile
    IF "%prevfile%."=="." GOTO firstfile
    GOTO nextfile
:firstfile
    ECHO Firstfile "%1"
    ECHO 0 !PREL3P -ldconfig normal.ldr > faded.%1
    TYPE %1 >> faded.%1
    SET prevfile=%1
    GOTO :eof
:nextfile
    ECHO Nextfile "%1"
    ECHO 0 !PREL3P +codes none > faded.%1
    ECHO 0 !PREL3P -ldconfig faded.ldr >> faded.%1
    TYPE %prevfile% >> faded.%1
    ECHO 0 !PREL3P -ldconfig normal.ldr >> faded.%1
    FC %prevfile% %1 > tmpfile.txt
    FIND /i /v "FC: no differences encountered" <tmpfile.txt >tmpfile2.txt
    FIND /i /v "Comparing files " <tmpfile2.txt >tmpfile.txt
    FIND /i /v "*****" <tmpfile.txt >tmpfile2.txt
    TYPE tmpfile2.txt >> faded.%1
    SET prevfile=%1
    GOTO :eof