 CAD / 13036
Re: img2sticker: Convert images into .ldr stickers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 30 Jun 2005 14:54:21 GMT

   Hmm, I don’t think so. Traditional antialiasing spreads the partial pixel errors from a line (or edge) into the adjacent pixels. In order to undo it you’d need to know where the line is, but that’s the very information you’re trying to recover from the image.

Strictly speaking though, (almost) any filter is invertible. Of course you do need to know what the original filter was which is easier said than done.

   In this case you’re not working from an antialiased image, but rather one that has been sampled by a scanner or a digital camera. There was no antialiasing applied. They just save what they see, blended colors and all.

Although it even worse as the image has been stored a a jpeg which bleeds the colours even more in its compression algorithm.

   I’m pretty certain they already have edge sharpening and unblur convolution filters which should be useful for undoing some of the blending, before converting to the closest ldraw colors.

Yes but edge sharpening actually seems to make the antialiasing worse. If it finds an ‘edge’ between the ‘real’ colour and its fake neighbour it tries to exaggerate this. I suspect it has something to do with the frequency offsets in Fourier space.

   Have fun,

Don

Will do,

Tim