 Administrative / Terms of Use / 581
Re: IRON MECHA - The Qwelder Mech - FOR SALE
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.terms
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2006 00:16:23 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.admin.terms, Eric Sophie wrote:

   As for the graphic, I honestly thought my friend made it. When I announced the graphic on LUGNET sometime ago, no one said anything.

How was I to know it was going to cause a stir later when no one said anything at the time I released it? All I got was deaf ears. Only later when it is fuel for fire does it come up, so I am not keen on hearing any argument after the fact. You all had your chance, silence seemed to equal aknowledgement. Not even a “hey that’s cool”, until it served to denigrate me.

I worked for a few hours making the graphic, when I posted it, all I got was silence.

I really can’t see why this is so difficult to understand, Eric. No-one had a problem with it when you first released it because it came under ‘fair use’ and you weren’t trying to make money out of it.

It wasn’t a coincidence that concerns were raised over IP theft only after you used it to advertise a sale. This has been repeated many times in this thread, and still you aren’t getting it.

Frankly, if you are serious about making a living as an ‘artist’, it is up to you to inform yourself of copyright law, and it is especially important to make sure it is ok to use any image you haven’t created yourself if you intend to use it in any way connected with a sale.

This would be true even if it was Mark’s creation. You can’t assume it’s ok to use it just because he’s a buddy. In fact it’s extra important to respect the IP of people you consider to be friends. IP theft is bad enough from a stranger, but from a friend it is an act of betrayal that can destroy a friendship.

All this is especially galling considering your reaction to Stefan Garcia’s doctoring of an image a few weeks ago.

   I would ask that LUGNET grow to include new ways of thinking for the future.

What? To include insanity, paranoia and a carefree attitude to the rules? Thankyou, no.

Allister

...and now cue the inevitable ‘whateva’ or other non-response that neatly avoids any need to actually answer to anyone for anything. :yawn: