 Year / 2002 / 51
Re: Top Secret 2002 releases from Anonymous Source
Newsgroups:
lugnet.year.2002
Date:
Sat, 4 Aug 2001 21:41:16 GMT

In lugnet.year.2002, Matthew Teets writes:
In lugnet.year.2002, Kirby Warden writes:
In lugnet.year.2002, Victor Knight writes:

You've got to be kidding. Where is Castle? I hoped to see Pirates back, same
with Town. Maybe some other decent new themes. What a joke. None of the
above lsited crap interests me in the least. Maybe Star Wars would be ok if
I was a Star Wars fan. Same with Soccer.

Castle= Harry Potter

Everything else is just parts for castle (or so I've heard)

I wish I could tell you this isn't true, but I believe this to be the case.
No true castle that I could ascertain.  There were some new sets dealing
with some type of monster theme (like vampires, werewolves, etc)  They even
had a werewolf head (which looked good) this stuff seemed to have a decent
amount of castle type stuff.  But no, it wasn't the true castle stuff your
looking for.  I'm assuming since the guarded inn did well, castle is coming
back under the classic and legend line until they can rebuild the entire
theme again.

Matthew Teets

Geez, replying to my own post...this is bad, but I needed to revisit this
with some thoughts.  Yeah, I agree, Harry Potter is a poor substitute for a
true castle theme.  Also, Star Wars is a poor substitute for a true Space
line (although I admit it has been very well done and is getting better).  I
think that it's getting hard for Lego to go it on their own with just sets.
I mean look at all the stuff they have had to do to get their first real
"toy" hit, Bionicle.  From what I see, the direction is going to continue on
this way, but you'll just have to wait and see like I am because details
were very sketchy.  I don't know if I like where this is heading
either...but I'll wait and see, and I think the legends and classic lines
are the best middle ground and bulk ordering might also change the mix.
This is the dynamics of the "new" toy industry that's driven by hype and
advertising.  I don't blame these people for betting their jobs on
conventional wisdom.

Matthew Teets