 Year / 2002 / 48
Re: Top Secret 2002 releases from Anonymous Source
Newsgroups:
lugnet.year.2002, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 4 Aug 2001 20:37:29 GMT

In lugnet.year.2002, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.year.2002, Matthew Teets writes:

Is this an actual question or the start of a whine-fest?
If it's a question, ask about a specific question and maybe it will jog my
memory.

OK, here's a question or two for you:

Where did you get this information, why should we think it's authentic, and
if you do assert it's authentic, is it information that TLC wants revealed
at this time?

Todd once said he didn't want to see LUGNET turn into a "leak club".

++Lar

Larry et all,
  I'll poke my head in here and tell you all about some 2002 info I got,
it's a long story, bear with me.
  As some of you know, I attended the National Scout Jamboree in VA for 12
days last and this week. (Returned Wed. Night)  My Region was the northeast.
Included in that region was one Troop 211, centered in Enfield, Conn.
  Troops from across the country are sponsored by local industry.  My troop
was sponsored by the Adirondack Park.  Troop 211 was supported by a certain
home-town industry.
  My troop leader, who knew of my hobby, alerted me to this fact, and I went
for a visit.  What to my wandering eyes should appear, but a shiny
MINDSTORMS Poster and a small kiosk.  "LEGO!," My 7 day toy deprived heart
screamed.
  I introduced myself to the man at the kiosk whose name I don't remember
(forgive my swiss-cheese brain).  He said he worked in Marketing.  We had a
heated discussion about mindstorms, which included the two of us explaining
to my buddy from the troop how they work.
  We then started talking about the product lines.  One kid said behind us
that the demo-bots looked like something from battle bots, which brought up
gaming-bots.
  My new found source told me to look around this time next year for
"Peaceful, Gaming Robots," which he described as, "a sport."  The next
tidbit gets me, he said that the robots are ready to play with "right out of
the box," for use by the younger set, but are customizable "for a kid [my]
age," (16).  Sounds like Juniorization.  At this point I told him I was into
system, and we talked about Harry Potter and others, uneventfully.
  As a gift to all that visited the booth, he was giving out keychains:
A nice gift!  He handed me a few as I told him we were starting a LUG in
Syracuse.  He told me that the LUGs have been very helpful to his department
and LD, and he hopes that we can work together more.
  He scooted off, having an appointment someplace else in camp.
I stayed for a few, playing with an ingenius little remote control, made of
bricks, that controlled a robot.  Mindstorms are amazing.
  Now, the "leak club" issue, he seemed to be very lax with the security.  I
told him I was active on LUGNET before he told me about the bots.  It was
implied that anything he said would be posted.
  I do have pics of the stand, they'll be in that folder as soon as I get
the film developed and scanned.
  I'll close for now.
-John Rudy
www.geocities.com/TJJohn12