 Underground / 348
Re: The all-new LUGNET .Underground
Newsgroups:
lugnet.underground
Date:
Fri, 20 May 2005 22:27:53 GMT

In lugnet.underground, Suzanne Rich Green wrote:
In lugnet.underground, Scott Lyttle wrote:

Suz, did you ever get a chance to see the "Life On Mars" truck tour?  There was
a Martian world under the surface of Mars in the truck--it was quite neat,
including the skiing martians, the polar bear chasing one, the night club, with
one or two martians spray painting graffiti on the side, the accident in the
aero tubes... it was pretty cool...  I think the truck is still sitting at
Enfield.

Scott

Sounds awesome! But no, I didn't see that. Maybe someone has pics (?)

Another fab display by TLC was at the Mall of America LEGO store. There were
about five of these tall, slowly rotating cylindrical display cases. Fantasy
dioramas/scenes got refreshed every so often - intended to expand upon sets
being released. (Abner Findley was working there at the time.) Anyway, the
underground scene I'm thinking of was a setup of battling underground Space
factions. I can't remember exactly what sets were involved, I want to say
Roboforce. There were laser-fire fights, skelatal remains of giant creatures,
and stalagmites made of BURPs that opened to reveal weaponry aimed up. It used a
whole lot of dark gray bricks. Anyone else remember that? Todd would. I'll ask
him.

I believe that PLM (what the models and the casing were called. It's short for
Poduct Line Model) featured RoboForce and Exploriens. The PLMs were built by
Enfield model-builders for a long time untill about 1999. They stopped coming
(budget reasons). I then took the PLMs on as my own projects and babies. I
continued to build new ones and refresh them until LEGO Brand Retail decided to
do away with them in a slight remodel of our store. It was a sad day. :(

Anyways, they were great stuff!

I believe there are many pictures of the LOM Truck Tour floating around the
'net. The truck sits in Enfield as of right now. I have a great Life on Mars
Truck Tour shirt taht has the truck on the back surrounded by the LOM aliens and
says 'staff' on the front.

-Brett