 Trains / Train Organizations / 2232
Re: Prolific Upcoming Weekend!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 17:58:53 GMT

There definitely are advanatges to both systems. I do like the barriers
because not only do they minimize the reaching, they also contain train
crashes.

At our mall display, we had an interesting crown control issue. That
display was basically three separate tables joined by bridges. Kids kept
running under the bridges. We cut down some of that by making piles of
inverted buckets under the bridges. I think one or two crashes were
caused by kids putting their hands on the bridge. The kids loved the
bridges though, so I wouldn't not do that in the future.

At our show at OMSI (the science museum), the kids play area was along
the front of the layout. This put the people farther away, and
completely prevented them from reaching in across those tables. We did
have a problem at one end of the table where we had a controller for the
kids to run a local loop. This invitation to interract with the layout
invited considerably more reaching. My suggestion in the future would be
to have a play table in front of that type of place also. The table
could even get away with only being 15" wide I suspect (which would be
pretty effective at keeping kids from reaching, but would probably still
leave things in reach for an adult to put the train back on the track).

We also had use of a glass display case. I suggested we try and find one
of those display cases with the shelves on a chain so you can rotate
them through. The display case allows kids to put their nose right up to
a bunch of models with no fear of reaching over a barrier. The glass
display case also provided a handy place to put piles of catalogs, plus
a table surface for fiddling with models.

Frank