 Trains / Train Organizations / 2229
Re: Prolific Upcoming Weekend!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 05:18:28 GMT

"Kevin Wilson" <kwilson_tccs@compuserve.com> wrote in message
news:H7AoyL.Gq7@lugnet.com...
Ted Michon wrote in message ...
plastic and get a surprise. A lot of kids put both hands on the glass and
press their mouths up against it.

This was the thing that grossed out us VLC trainiacs when we were helping
with the layout at NWBrickCon, and decided us against using the plastic. • Not
just mouths but runny noses... and who knows what they've had in those
mouths. Sticky yucky, ewww!

Eh - you get used to it.  If you have young kids it gets to the point where
you don't even see it!  ;-)

We went with stanchions and rope for the first time this fall (previously • we
have used no barriers) and found them work OK, although we did have to • keep
going around and nudging them back into position. The big advantage with
ropes is that you have a space around the layout to walk around and • interact
with the public, fix disasters, etc.

We (NCLTC) have done both.  The layout we have on display in a local mall
has both plexglass and a rigid fence around it.  The plexiglass is 15" tall
so accounting for the mounting to the table, it probably extends up from the
table surface about 12".  About 2 feet away from the layout is a rigid
fence.  You have to be pretty tall or pretty determined to reach across the
fence and plexiglass into our layout.  Because of the fence we are not
subjected to the finger prints and snot effect that Ted described.

At past shows we have used rope barriers.  We have old LEGO buckets filled
with concrete and PVC posts that the rope threads through.  These have done
us well, the concrete keeps them from moving around much.  They are heavy so
hauling the 14 of them we have is a bit of a chore.

Now that we have both plexiglass and barriers, we will likely do a
combination of both at our next GATS show.  I have to say that once the
plexiglass is up, tweaking the layout is much harder to do.  The rope
barrier provide much better access for that aspect.  There are pros and cons
to both methods.

Mike

Mike Walsh - mike_walsh at mindspring.com