 Trains / Train Organizations / 1995
1994  |  1996
Subject:
Timesaver Layout
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 2 May 2002 22:24:02 GMT

Hello all,

I would like to announce my version of John Allen's Timesaver railroad
switching game.

The folder is at:
and contains Rules, a track diagram, a materials list, and some useful
information for setting up and running a Timesaver.

My track diagram, I believe, is the most faithful possible to John Allen's
original game [1]. I discovered through playing the game that spur length
and position of uncoupling points is critical. Otherwise it is easy to cheat
the game. Part of the fun of the game is trying to accomplish the switching
in a very limited space.

This layout is designed for use with 16 stud-length engine and rolling
stock. If other length stock is used, the layout must be recalibrated for
the new length. An advantage to using "shorty" cars, however, is that the
entire layout is within arm's reach.

I hope this is useful to anyone who would like to try something a little
different with trains. I have played mine over a hundred times, and with the
thousand of variations possible, it has still not gotten old.

Switch Well!

Rick Clark

[1] Source: "Model Railroading with John Allen," page 138;
c.1996 by Linn Westcott