 Trains / Train Organizations / 1981
Re: BrickFest TimeSaver Layout
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 15:47:44 GMT

In lugnet.trains.org, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.trains.org, Tom Cook writes:
As part of the Train activities for BrickFest, I am planning a switching
puzzle game based on John Allen's TimeSaver layout.

Note (to the uninitiated, everyone that knows who John Allen is already
knows this) TimeSaver is a bit of a misnomer, it's really MOVEsaver, as in
you are judged on total number of moves to solve the puzzle, not the elapsed
time. A move is a couple/uncouple or a direction reversal without
coupling/uncoupling, basically (someone could post the exact definition if
they Googled for it)

Yes, typically that is how it is graded, however, I recently learned that
the original article in the 1972 (I think) Model Railroader magazine called
for it to be timed.  So I think we can use whatever method works best.

One attempt at a LEGO
track plan is:

If you are interested, please take a look, and let me know what you think.

Are you planning on supplying the rolling stock? These track lenghts seem
short for US prototype car lengths but seem about right for 2 axle eurotrash
stock.

It probably is a good thing if you DO supply all the stock so that the sizes
are exactly uniform. The puzzle assumes a standard carlength after all.

I agree, the spurs look short, but I assumed two LEGO track segments per
car, and attempted to match the specified lengths, which are:
Top two spurs:  3 cars each
Run-around:  2 cars
All other spurs:  2 cars each
Please let me know if I messed it up.

And yes, I plan on supplying the rolling stock and loco so everything is equal.