 Trains / Train Organizations / 1991
Re: BrickFest TimeSaver Layout
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Wed, 1 May 2002 07:51:46 GMT

Oh, I disagree heartily. Having played my own LEGO timesaver, as well as an HO
version that I own, I can tell you that using the throttle makes the game MUCH
more thrilling. Pushing the trains around by hand is just not the same.

John Allen's original version used manual switches also, and you already have
enough to think about when playing, without trying to mentally map buttons to
points (as in a remote switching situation).

For more than a year now, I have done nearly all my decoupling using what
traditional model railroaders call a "hands near" approach. It is actually much
more prototypical than uncoupling ramps, since uncoupling cars is, in reality,
a very manual task. My manual uncoupler is essentially a two-pronged device
that slips in vertically between two cars, and is then twisted to separate them
enough to break the magnetic contact[1]. The train is then driven away. This is
also how many traditional model railroaders do it (especially then N-scale
guys) when they need to uncouple, and don't have an uncoupling magnet nearby in
the track.

In the original Timesaver game, the throttle was set to the slowest speed, and
the players controlled only forward/reverse/off. In the LEGO version, I control
the throttle with my left hand, and hold the uncoupler in my right. It is easy
to switch points with your right hand without setting down the uncoupler. The
whole process becomes very natural very quickly.

The only minor problem with powering the Timesaver is that you have to add
power at two points, due to the back-to-back configuration of the points. But
this never seemed like a problem to me.

Rick C.

[1] Looking down from the top, my decoupler looks like this:

oooooooooo
oooooooooooooooo
oooooooooo
oooooooooo
oooooooooo
oooooooooooooooo

The two prongs are 1x16 bricks, sandwiched between two 6x10 plates.
Insert the uncoupler so that the two prongs are touching the two rails. Then
gently twist. Instant uncoupling!

In lugnet.trains.org, Mark Williams writes:
I have a question. If the points have to be operated manually (assuming 9v
not 12v points) and the cars have to be uncoupled manually, what really is
the point of a throttle? Move the cars by hand. Before I hear an outcry,
think about it. There's really not a whole lot of track to cover so there
isn't a whole lot of thrill to seeing the train run.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the idea and want to create the puzzle for
NGLTC (using 12v track because of the switches) but until a reliable
uncoupling device (without using your hands) can be achieved, the whole
thrill isn't there.

Mark <<