 Trains / Train Organizations / 1989
Re: BrickFest TimeSaver Layout
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 1 May 2002 04:10:49 GMT

Cool Rob. I've been using a LEGO Timesaver that I designed and built for
over a year now. It's a great game. Looks like your layout is very
similar to what I came up with. I have a number of specifics that may
help you if you want the game to be as acurate as possible (so you can't
cheat. ;-) I'll see if I can dig them up/get them posted.

I presented the Timesaver as an activity at the 2000 Seattle GATS.
Here's what I remember about what I learned:

1. Use a limited throttle. Kids will run trains off the ends of the
spurs all day, or else will slam into the stops. I found that a
universal power supply (from Radio Shack) set to 7.5 volts instead of
12v did a great job of slowing the trains down to something reasonable.
At that level, there's only 2 or 3 discernable speeds, and the top speed
is about half normal.

2. The display is very high maintenence. Be prepared to supervise and
explain all day long.

3. Don't put more than one or two cars on the layout, unless someone has
shown they understand how to do basic switching. I recommend one basic
pickup, and one runaround as a tutorial.

I'll see what else I can come up with. I think I have display
instructions in Word Format, and some other materials, including optimal
placement for the uncoupling spots, and optimal spur lengths.

I'll do some research and get back to you.

Rick C.

Rob Doucette wrote:

In lugnet.trains.org, Tom Cook writes:
As part of the Train activities for BrickFest, I am planning a switching
puzzle game based on John Allen's TimeSaver layout.  One attempt at a LEGO
track plan is:

If you are interested, please take a look, and let me know what you think.