 Trains / Train Organizations / 1988
Re: BrickFest TimeSaver Layout
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Wed, 1 May 2002 03:02:47 GMT

In lugnet.trains.org, Mark Williams writes:
I have a question. If the points have to be operated manually (assuming 9v
not 12v points) and the cars have to be uncoupled manually, what really is
the point of a throttle? Move the cars by hand. Before I hear an outcry,
think about it. There's really not a whole lot of track to cover so there
isn't a whole lot of thrill to seeing the train run.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the idea and want to create the puzzle for
NGLTC (using 12v track because of the switches) but until a reliable
uncoupling device (without using your hands) can be achieved, the whole
thrill isn't there.

Hm... maybe we should subcontract the TS module construction to Steve Ringe.

:-) but actually a serious suggestion.

His section of the last MichLTC layout had TimeSaver characteristics
(although it was more generously sized), automatic uncouplers, and remote
control switches. All in 9V. There is a pic of me raptly working the
controls, madly switching cars around to see how fast I could rearrange
consists, somewhere on the MichLUG.org site.

However another idea which also is nifty is to do it in 12V.... Frank gave a
12V implementation of the track layout already.

It just wouldn't be the same without an engine.  But ya, you have a point.