 Trains / Train Organizations / 1994
Re: Modules, Can You Help? (Was Re: Possible BOO BOO)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.org.us.lucny
Date:
Wed, 1 May 2002 17:17:59 GMT

In lugnet.trains.org, Benjamin Medinets writes:
In lugnet.org.us.lucny, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.org.us.lucny, Mike Walsh writes:

We (NCLTC) built our modules based on the PNLTC specification.  Everything
you need including paint color codes is here:
http://www.pnltc.org/toolspec_data/modular_table.html

MichLTC is (hasn't finished yet(1) ) building to 30x30 and 30x60 sizes. Our
design is close to PNLTC but has modifications to incorporate short plexi
crowd guards and uses 2x3 stringers since we have table walkers (see the
webpage for pics of Chris and Amy on top of the tables) so we needed
stronger tables.

I definitely in favor of the 30X30 train modules.  Its also what we in Toronto
do.  A definite copy of PNLTC design (thanks Ben Fleske).  It fits 9 regular
(32X32 brick stud) baseplates nicely, or 6 (32X32 brick stud) baseplates plus
2 parallel lines of Lego Train track!!!

Very usefull in general, unless you have really large buildings, and want to
incorporate road way, but then you can double up.  Plus, the 30 X 30 can fit
into most (mini-)vans nicely, or you can do what Calum (Tsang) does, and
stack the modules on a rack.

Benjamin Medinets

<snip>

Benjamin Medinets

Looks like you use the modules as table tops only - do you have any plans to
add folding or bolt-on legs?  Am I correct in assuming (after browsing some
pics from http://peach.mie.utoronto.ca/events/lego/lego-011902-index.html)
that you use existing tables to set these modules on?

I'm kinda running with that assumption here, so I take full responsility for
looking like an idiot now...
...but it seems to me that there's an advantage to having your own set of
folding legs attached to the underside of the module, like NGLTC does to
provide a consistent standard height of 30".  I believe that's the standard
at most railfan events, and it's the standard for banquet tables, etc.
However, I've set up banquet tables at VFW halls, museums and civic centers
that were all supposed to be the same, but were not.  That left gaps and
height discrepancies between modules, and not desirable for baseplate and
9v/12v track spanning.  You get the idea.

So, I'm trying to get table dimension sizes set for LUCNY - we've got our
rtlToronto neighbors to the north using 30" and NELUG neighbors to the east
using 40.5".  Both have their merits, and I guess I'm thinking to far in the
future to try and coordinate module dimensions with neighboring LTCs in case
we have jointly coordinated events.  Baah - never mind.  Probably trivial.

OK, moving on, let's consider, from LUCNY's standpoint which way to go.
NELUG uses 1/2" plywood tops that need further bracking to attach fixed
wooden bolt on legs.  I don't see anybody walking the tables there, so
that's fine, but the dimensions border on cumbersome.  Shaun S. has noted
that he can handle them just fine, but it seems that a smaller dimension is
handled even finer.  RtlToronto uses existing tables to support module tops
made of (maybe) 3/8" OSB, but that would be a bit heavy with adjustable legs
attached.

I like the idea of 3/8" plywood to support the installation of standardized
third party folding legs, like NGLTC uses.  The 30" size looks like it's
easily transported, and should be lighter.  The easier it is for everybody
can handle their own module, the easier it is to coordinate a setup at a
show.  Folding legs way speed up the setup and take down time, as James T.
of NGLTC has commented to me and in postings in the past.  Folding legs are
easy to come by, but add ~$30 to the cost of a table.  However, the top can
be engineerd with less material, so that could offset it.  I like the sound
of that.  LUCNY needs modules that we can individually manage and don't
require a woodworking skillset.  LUCNY needs modules that are large enough
to accomodate Lucnyville layout dimensions, but not too large because our
buildings are not too large.  As we grow in size, modules can be set up two
deep, as Benjamin states.  I like that flexibility.  Crowd barriers can be
designed after the fact if needed on either type of module.

In summary, 30" tops made of simplified and reinforced 3/8 plywood and
folding banquet style legs are what LUCNY could benefit from.  Anyone else?

Ed