Re: Possible BOO BOO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.lucny
Date:
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 15:03:48 GMT

This looks like the best way. You have our four votes. :)
--
Thanx~
Nicole~

"Wayne Sardullo" <sardullo@oswego.edu> wrote in message
Shaun

Thanks for your input. I've been thinking about it and it might be cheaper • too.
then going out and blowing 50 bucks on a table.

4x4 ft modules seems like a nice overall size. I would myself make some • module
design changes myself but that only for personal reasons.

As far as doing the work. I can do that I have a Woodshop at my father's • home
that I usually use when I go home to see him. Things like bolts and screws • I
have already so all I really need would be wood. I guess we could do that.

OK LUCNY guys what you think?

Wayne

In lugnet.org.us.lucny, Shaun Sullivan writes:
In lugnet.org.us.lucny, Wayne Sardullo writes:
I sat at the dinner table this evening and said DOH!!!!!!!!!!!

[snip]

With that in mind..  I believe someone here at lugnet has done a (HERES • the
Standard Table Design) go build it.

[snip]

I figured maybe if we chip in or just each buy a table then we have some • kind
of Standard to work from. The other reason is if we go that route its • not just
for Lego those tables could have other purposes during non-Lego Times.

Please comment on this.  ALL INPUT IS GOOD

Hi All,

I hope you don't mind me throwing in my experiences here.  We (NELUG) • were in
much the same position about 1.5 years ago - do we build some tables as • per a
LEGO standard, or buy some.  We ended up building ours, and I'll give • some of
my feedback.

For LEGO, they are absolutely amazing.  The standard LTC table size is • about
44" on a side (?), so that they fit 4x4 regular sized baseplates exactly. • This
may not sound like a big deal, but it turns out it is.  You don't even • have to
paint the tables at all, just make sure you have enough baseplates to • cover the
area.  Then you buy some tacks and a cheap skirting material, and you • have a
professional looking display.

The relatively small size of the tables works wonders as well.  I've • managed to
fit eight or so in my Honda Civic 2-door coupe.  The advantage of this • can't be
overstated - that means *anyone* can take a table home, to plan out a • part of
the train layout, to host a Brikwars game, or just to use it for • whatever.
Additionally, with rather small sizes, you have more flexibility with the
layout.  Long and thin?  One big block?  A donut with open space in the • middle?
An open space surrounded by a ring which is two tables wide on one side, • one
table wide on the other?  We've done all of these.

We've also started to appreciate some other aspects of these designs. • For one
thing, we found ourselves desperately wanting more just before our last • train
show.  Tom simply made four more in one afternoon - and we didn't have to • worry
about stock turnover, or changing styles, or discontinued designs.  Plus, • and
perhaps most importantly from a train layout standpoint, we've gotten to • the
part where we can start incorporating different levels, which is very • easy to
do with custom tables:

http://www.nelug.org/greenberg0402/P4050012.JPG
http://www.nelug.org/greenberg0402/P4050015.JPG
http://www.nelug.org/greenberg0402/P4050034.JPG

Assembling them turns out not to be that big a deal (and cheap) - Home • Depot
will cut the plywood to the size you specify, and the rest of it entails: • some
drilling of bolt-holes, some chop-sawing of the legs, and some minor cuts • to
make the leg braces.  A few screws, bolts, nuts, and washers, and they're • done.

That being said, I'm trying to think of some disadvantages.  By • themselves,
they certainly aren't very aesthetic - we've worked around that by • covering all
of the wood surfaces for any shows or Brikwars games, though.  And while • you
could use them for purposes other than LEGO (is there such a thing?
Blashemous!), we haven't yet, and I don't believe any of us are beating • down
the door to, again probably for aesthetic reasons.

Well, there you have it.  We've had lots of good experiences with ours, • though
I don't feel that there is any *overwhelming* argument one way or the • other.
The primary advantages to the self-made tables seem to be (1) exact • baseplate
fit (2) modularity and (3) easily customized for future projects (such as
valleys, gulleys, hills, mountains, etc.).  If those seem important, than • you
might want to lean towards homemade LEGO tables.

In any case, have fun.  These are the sort of decisions that you can • enjoy
making, since it's for a fun cause.  Better those than "fix the brakes or • new
hot water heater"-type choices, eh?  ;)

-s