Re: Possible BOO BOO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.lucny
Date:
Sun, 28 Apr 2002 12:30:32 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.lucny, Shaun Sullivan writes:

Some quick additional notes on the NELUG tables.

For LEGO, they are absolutely amazing.  The standard LTC table size is about
44" on a side (?), so that they fit 4x4 regular sized baseplates exactly.
This may not sound like a big deal, but it turns out it is.  You don't even
have to paint the tables at all, just make sure you have enough baseplates to
cover the area.  Then you buy some tacks and a cheap skirting material, and
you have a professional looking display.

Well they are actually 40.25" buy 40.25", which fit a 16 32x32 baseplates in a
4x4 configuration,  Or you could have 8 16x32 and 12 32x32 baseplates, or 4
48x48 and 7 32x32 baseplates...  Pretty flexible really.

Assembling them turns out not to be that big a deal (and cheap) - Home Depot
will cut the plywood to the size you specify, and the rest of it entails: some
drilling of bolt-holes, some chop-sawing of the legs, and some minor cuts to
make the leg braces.  A few screws, bolts, nuts, and washers, and they're
done.

Actually I have found that the tables can be built for right around $15 per
table (not including labor).  Like Shaun said Home Depot or Lowes will cut the
plywood to size (you need to watch them and find someone thats good there are a
lot of hacks working at Home Depot and if they leave you more than a quarter
inch off in your measurements it causes problems).  We use 1/4" plywood and one
good thing is you get 2 table tops out of a 4'x8' sheet.  Save the scraps (your
paying for them anyway) and use them for the bracing on the legs.  Then just
get some 2"x2" lumber for the legs.  We also put adjustable feet on our legs.
You will need at least 2 legs for every table if you are doing a square.  If
you are doing a horse shoe you will need (2 x tables)+2=legs.  Our legs bolt on
to the tables.  Additionally our table skirts are made from $2/yard fabric
hemmed to the hieght of our tables (29").

Some clubs have gone with folding legs, while this reduces setup time it
significantly increases the cost per table.  (more than doubles if not triples
the cost).  We like to spend the money we save on things like... LEGO?

That being said, I'm trying to think of some disadvantages.  By themselves,
they certainly aren't very aesthetic - we've worked around that by covering
all of the wood surfaces for any shows or Brikwars games, though.  And while
you could use them for purposes other than LEGO (is there such a thing?
Blashemous!), we haven't yet, and I don't believe any of us are beating down
the door to, again probably for aesthetic reasons.

They might not be pretty but through a cheap table cloth on them and I would
eat off them.

Eric Kingsley.