 Trains / Train Organizations / 1978
  BrickFest TimeSaver Layout

As part of the Train activities for BrickFest, I am planning a switching puzzle game based on John Allen's TimeSaver layout. One attempt at a LEGO track plan is: (URL) you are interested, please take a look, and let me know what you think. (22 years ago, 30-Apr-02, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: BrickFest TimeSaver Layout

(...) Note (to the uninitiated, everyone that knows who John Allen is already knows this) TimeSaver is a bit of a misnomer, it's really MOVEsaver, as in you are judged on total number of moves to solve the puzzle, not the elapsed time. A move is a (...) (22 years ago, 30-Apr-02, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: BrickFest TimeSaver Layout

(...) Yes, typically that is how it is graded, however, I recently learned that the original article in the 1972 (I think) Model Railroader magazine called for it to be timed. So I think we can use whatever method works best. (...) I agree, the (...) (22 years ago, 30-Apr-02, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: BrickFest TimeSaver Layout

(...) I would strongly favor counting moves as uncoupling really could take a fair bit of variable time. I also would not penalise someone for accidentally recoupling right after uncoupling, it is SO easy with these speed regs to go in the wrong (...) (22 years ago, 30-Apr-02, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: BrickFest TimeSaver Layout

(...) There is an online game available for those who wish to practice ahead of time, sans brick. The instructions are here (Nashville Music News?): (URL) the Operate link to play. -Rob. (22 years ago, 30-Apr-02, to lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.trains)

  Re: BrickFest TimeSaver Layout

(...) (URL) an index of print (mostly) resources: (URL) here's a page on a UK switching game, Inglenook Sidings: (URL) Yes, typically that is how it is graded, however, I recently learned that (...) I think that's the article I dug out when I looked (...) (22 years ago, 30-Apr-02, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: BrickFest TimeSaver Layout

Good idea about not publishing the rules ahead of time. The specific rules will not be revealed until "game time" to add to the challenge. Also, there might be an element of chance involved. I was thinking of color coding the cars, but they could be (...) (22 years ago, 30-Apr-02, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: BrickFest TimeSaver Layout

(...) Oh, I think you should publish the RULES in advance... they're pretty standard. Just not the particular PUZZLE to be solved. (22 years ago, 30-Apr-02, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: BrickFest TimeSaver Layout

I have a question. If the points have to be operated manually (assuming 9v not 12v points) and the cars have to be uncoupled manually, what really is the point of a throttle? Move the cars by hand. Before I hear an outcry, think about it. There's (...) (22 years ago, 1-May-02, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: BrickFest TimeSaver Layout

(...) Hm... maybe we should subcontract the TS module construction to Steve Ringe. :-) but actually a serious suggestion. His section of the last MichLTC layout had TimeSaver characteristics (although it was more generously sized), automatic (...) (22 years ago, 1-May-02, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: BrickFest TimeSaver Layout

Cool Rob. I've been using a LEGO Timesaver that I designed and built for over a year now. It's a great game. Looks like your layout is very similar to what I came up with. I have a number of specifics that may help you if you want the game to be as (...) (22 years ago, 1-May-02, to lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.trains)

  Re: BrickFest TimeSaver Layout

Oops. Cool Tom, I mean. Rick C. (...) (22 years ago, 1-May-02, to lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.trains)

  Re: BrickFest TimeSaver Layout

Oh, I disagree heartily. Having played my own LEGO timesaver, as well as an HO version that I own, I can tell you that using the throttle makes the game MUCH more thrilling. Pushing the trains around by hand is just not the same. John Allen's (...) (22 years ago, 1-May-02, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: BrickFest TimeSaver Layout

(...) I think you may have answered my decoupling dilemma. It might have to be modified for 12v track (because of the conductors between the rails). This is much more elegant than what I was imagining: one hand on each car and pulling them apart. I (...) (22 years ago, 1-May-02, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: BrickFest TimeSaver Layout

(...) The constant throttle speed is also mildly important if the contest is timed instead of counting moves. Note that counting time is actually more prototypical also. In real life, they don't care how many "moves" you make. What they care is that (...) (22 years ago, 1-May-02, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Timesaver Layout

Hello all, I would like to announce my version of John Allen's Timesaver railroad switching game. The folder is at: (URL) contains Rules, a track diagram, a materials list, and some useful information for setting up and running a Timesaver. My track (...) (22 years ago, 2-May-02, to lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.trains)