 Trains / Train Organizations / 1239
Re: I<whatever>LTC summary
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 15:29:00 GMT

In lugnet.trains.org, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.trains.org, Todd Lehman writes:

It's just a question I like to ask:  "What problem are we solving?"

Personally I don't really feel like we are "solving any problems".  The part of
Steve B's. origional post that I really liked was the part about sharing
information on Honorariums.

This is something I have struggled with for a while with Greenberg.  For the
first show it was easy because they have a flat $100 honorarium for first
timers.  But after the frist show there is no schedule of increases or anything
so I didn't know how to go about it.

We are making more now but is it enough?  Sometimes I don't think so.  At the
last show we had top billing on their flyers and adds and the show was their
most successful at that location in 12 years.  Now I don't know how much of a
roll we played in bringing people through the door but people were 2 and 3 deep
around our layout for most of the 2 day show.

Now I personally don't feel comfortable talking about honorariums here in
public because

1. Greenberg folks have posted to this very newsgroup before and I don't really
want them seeing us talk about it.

2. I don't really think its a subject I want posted in public.  Sure its not a
lot of money but it is still money and just the nature of money can create bad
feelings fast.

If this new organization can help us share that information without it becoming
public then I am all for it.  Now maybe that is a "Problem we are trying to
solve"?

It's a question I haven't 100% sussed myself.

Now like Larry I don't have 100% of the answer either but that is the one
tidbit I was most interested in origionally.

There's the sharing of information aspect... much of that can happen here,
but some needs to be private. There's the desire to maybe eventually have a
national convention (and to do that you need an org in place, unless some
particular LTC is hosting) but that seems far off. There's the helping hand
to less experienced clubs, but again, some of that happens offline.

I really thought that Larry's "Summation Post" really put us on the track I
thought we should go down although that is a bit up in the air again now.  I
though much of the discussion yesterday was constructive but obviously a few
people didn't so I guess we are in a bit of a holding pattern at the moment.

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/