 Trains / Train Organizations / 1198
1197  |  1199
Subject:
I<whatever>LTC summary
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 21:41:27 GMT

Here's a summary as I see it so far

- The organizational goals aren't 100% clear yet but are getting clearer.
   - more of a sharing of experiences and ideas and resources (like the
handout to pick a small example, but other stuff too)
   - less of a "united front" in negotiating with anyone, but especially TLC.

- a group being in I<whatever>LTC just means that a group has a trains
interest of some sort, nothing more or less. Position with TLC is more
likely to be based on what the group has to offer TLC (marketing, etc. tie
ins) than some membership cert in I<whatever>LTC

- One person or two from each club is probably plenty for this sort of
coordinating group. Who that is is up to individual clubs. (Did I just talk
myself out of being in it? C'est la vie.)

- Various clubs have various goals, maturity levels, membership levels,
needs, desires etc. Yet common ground still exists. If more experienced
clubs can help less experienced clubs we all benefit. Some of this help is
likely to be nebulous and hard to describe before it's needed. But when it's
needed, it's handy to have something to lean on.

- LUGNET should be used where possible, but private lists where necessary.
Some stuff is sensitive. (this happens already, I suspect many of us are on
various private lists...)

- "Brotherhood", well intentioned or not, historical or not, is too likely
to distract as a name component so ought to be avoided.

- But we haven't picked another one! IOLTC seems to be gaining favor and
probably is "good enough" for everyone. Call the question! If anyone hates
it speak up now (remembering that the name isn't nearly as important as the
goals). Be prepared to justify. (and no fair pointing out it sounds like IOOC)

BTW I sent Mike Walsh a note suggesting HE pick the name since he set up the
lists :-)... he didn't answer (wisely?).

Accurate summary?

Are there remaining areas of disagreement?

(Erik K raised a good point, the NELUG storefront displays of Starwars and
Castle were not Trains... but that's sort of a so what until some group that
has done that but hasn't also done a train show asks to belong)

What are the next steps?

Organizational goals not yet listed?

(I'd like to see module standards thrashed out again, there has been some
deviation from the last time which is fine, the situation changed)

++Lar