 Trains / Train Organizations / 1240
Re: Stop the madness...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 16:16:42 GMT

In lugnet.trains.org, Eric Kingsley writes:
Steve,

I agree with all of this except maybe...

a) so LEGO Direct has a mechanism to talk to all groups at once.

How do you see this working?  I thought that one of the main ideas behind this
was so that we could talk off-line without anyone looking over our shoulder.
Do you see LD being perminantly on the list?  If not then how would this serve
as a single point of contact?

I am just wondering.  I'm not trying to stir the pot more.

I'm not Steve.

But I think the idea was that the mailing list would be private... and when
LD was to be notified of something, someone would tell them but say they
were speaking with the consensus of the group. If LD wanted to say
something, they would send it to that one member who forwards it to the
list... (I don't know if there are such things as "write only memberships"
on pairlist, that is, you can write to a mailing list but not read it. Mike?
I don't think Yahoogroups has that. If so, that removes the need for an
intermediary to receive the message and forward it on)

Since this smacks of negotiating "on behalf of" groups that may not be very
common, or maybe it's not what Steve meant. (Mutual Aid societies aid each
other but don't usually negotiate with third parties, the individual members
do that on their own... after sharing info and strategies with each other on
the third party)

++Lar