 Trains / 8658
Re: Need some help with some Train specs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 9 Dec 2000 15:51:43 GMT

I am sorry but thats not how ya' do it.  The turn radius is basically
measuring how wide a half a circle of track is from the outer track across
the half circle to the outer track on the opposite side.
check out this drawing it will help.

The term "radius" is comes from HALF a circle of track.

In lugnet.trains, Steven Barile writes:
For some reason I believe it is to the center of the rails. Make a circle
and measure screw hole to screw hole/2... I guess that's easy enough. Or
take three road plats and measure in studs. Ben Fleskes knows this one off
the top of his head. Anyway next time they ask tell 'em 32 studs (or
whatever the right number is). That'll teach to think in English units (or
metic for that matter).
:D

SteveB

In lugnet.trains, James Trobaugh writes:
Good question, I don't know how other scales measure their radius. I just
get the question a lot at shows. I guess I could just measure all three and
that way I'm set either way. I'll do that in the morning, I'm too tired from
sorting this evening.

jt

--
James J. Trobaugh
North Georgia LEGO Train Club
STEVEBAR <stevebarile@yahoo.com> wrote in message
curve radius is measureed how?
1) from center of circle to inner rail
2) from center of circle to outer rail
3) from center of circle to middle of both rails (tie)
SteveB

In lugnet.trains, Kai Brodersen writes:

minimum about 27 1/3"
Maximum is basically anything its just how big you want to make it that • matters.

In lugnet.trains, James Trobaugh writes:
Thanks for the track numbers everyone, I will refer to it as L-gauge or • LEGO
gauge, but it will be nice to have some hard fast number to throw out • also.

Kit-bash and Scratch are terms I've used with them before, even though • we
still have different ideas of Scratch.

Anyone have any idea of the curve radius?

jt
--
James J. Trobaugh
North Georgia LEGO Train Club
http://www.ngltc.org
sebarile-MOBL <steve.e.barile@intel.com> wrote in message
I wanted to say we don't "kit-bash" but "scratch" build, but I have • seen
modified Metroliners, Train Stations.... so, we do both!

As for guage, I tell the story that "L" guage was determined by the • original
LEGO wheel set back in the 1960's. The track is spaced such that a • standard
wheel set (using 2x2 wheels on a 2x4 axile brick) rolls on it. Of • course
this is the 4.5 volt days but this still holds true on 9v.

SteveB
PNLTC