 Trains / 8638
Re: Need some help with some Train specs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2000 21:35:33 GMT

Christopher Masi wrote:
You mentioned "kit-bashing" before. Maybe some traditional model railroader can
straighten that term out, but I take it to mean that a modeler starts with a
car/kit and changes the things in the kit to turn the kit into the model they
want to make. I saw a very good conversion of a steamer to a cab forward
steamer. The modeler removed the old cab, built a new one (using the old cab and
some plastic goo?) and changed the detail work. I assume that is kit bashing.

That is not quite what we do. We do not buy a steamer and then modify it to look
like a certain kind of steamer, we buy planes, castles, automobiles, boats,
battering rams, nearly everything out there (other than a steamer) and take
pieces and parts and create our models from scratch.

I'd call what we do somewhere between kitbashing and scratchbuilding.
Another term sometimes used in the MRR hobby is kitmingling. To use a
single term which would easily be understood by model railroaders, I
would just say it's very much like kitbashing.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com