 Trains / 8633
Re: Need some help with some Train specs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2000 21:11:08 GMT

In lugnet.trains, James Trobaugh writes:
As I had mention a few months ago, I'm preparing a presentation to my local
division of the NMRA on LEGO trains next week. I have most of the
presentaion done, but would like to know if anyone knows the real gauge of
LEGO track. I know it's "LEGO" gauge, but I want to know the real numbers.

Thats what I told the folks at the Greenberg show last weekend.  Many of them
ran off with a piece of track to measure it but I never asked what they came up
with.

Just say its "LEGO" gauge because Minifigs aren't to scale with "us" anyway
hence it doesn't fit into a standard railroad gauge anyway.

Also what is the radius of the track curves?

Really really tight.  Also my answer at the Greenberg show.  Just say there is
only one raidus of curve, one length of straight track, left and right points,
and a crossing (9v of course).  Also make sure you mention or demonstraight how
reliable the track is.  I know most of the people looking at our layout
couldn't believe how smooth the trains ran and how reliable the track was.

Oh and it doesn't run on batterys!!!  We got lots of what kind of batterys does
it take too.

I figure these are some of the
questions I'll get from the members of the division.

If anyone knows of other question that you heard from other train modelers,
let me have them too...preferably with the answers :)

Well I put a few things above but also mention that for the most part we all
design our own rolling stock and engines, they are not kits.  Same with the
buildings.  I know most of the model railroaders we talked to said "Oh you
kit-bash everything".  I guess thats what we do and it puts it in model
railroading terms.

For fun if you have something you don't mind dropping on the floor you might
want to do a drop demonstration to see the looks in their eyes.  Then tell them
you can either put it back together or build something else, its not broken.

Have a plain old train motor to display to show them what makes it go and maybe
demonstraight how you build from that.

There is so much that is different from traditional model railroading using
LEGO trains that you need to "show it all" but also demonstraight that we are
just as passionate about our hobby as they are about theirs.  People don't
expect much from a LEGO layout but once they see it they see there are real
possibilities using LEGO as a medium and we can do some really cool stuff.

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/