 Trains / 8641
Re: Need some help with some Train specs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2000 22:27:38 GMT

For all intents and purposes, LEGO trains are "O" scale, which is 1:48.  The
track gauge for O is 1.25" (32 mm) while LEGO track gauge is about 1.5" (38
mm), so they are close.

Now check out these dudes:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/J-2/Thumbnails/dudes.jpg

As you can see, they are about the same height, but not much else is the same
(the funny shaped one is an "O" scale fig;-)  but that is why we love the
minifig so.  As far as O scale trains measurements: they are, in terms of LEGO
proportions, almost exactly 8 wide:-)  I think Mike Poindexter worked out a
"workable" solution for scale for trains: 1 stud = 1.3 feet.  *That* is what
I'd call "LEGO scale";-)

-John

"James J. Trobaugh" wrote:

As I had mention a few months ago, I'm preparing a presentation to my local
division of the NMRA on LEGO trains next week. I have most of the
presentaion done, but would like to know if anyone knows the real gauge of
LEGO track. I know it's "LEGO" gauge, but I want to know the real numbers.
Also what is the radius of the track curves? I figure these are some of the
questions I'll get from the members of the division.

If anyone knows of other question that you heard from other train modelers,
let me have them too...preferably with the answers :)

Thanks

jt

--------
James J. Trobaugh