 Trains / 8632
  Need some help with some Train specs

As I had mention a few months ago, I'm preparing a presentation to my local division of the NMRA on LEGO trains next week. I have most of the presentaion done, but would like to know if anyone knows the real gauge of LEGO track. I know it's "LEGO" (...) (24 years ago, 8-Dec-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Need some help with some Train specs

(...) Thats what I told the folks at the Greenberg show last weekend. Many of them ran off with a piece of track to measure it but I never asked what they came up with. Just say its "LEGO" gauge because Minifigs aren't to scale with "us" anyway (...) (24 years ago, 8-Dec-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Need some help with some Train specs

Basicly this is going to be a two part clinic, first an oral presentation with pictures and notes (intro, history, MOCs), then the second part is going to be interactive. I'm bringing track, power supplies, engines, train wheels and tons of bricks. (...) (24 years ago, 8-Dec-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Need some help with some Train specs

(...) I think it's very close to "O" gauge, but I'm sure someone out there will have a more exact answer. JohnG, GMLTC (24 years ago, 8-Dec-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Need some help with some Train specs

(...) straighten that term out, but I take it to mean that a modeler starts with a car/kit and changes the things in the kit to turn the kit into the model they want to make. I saw a very good conversion of a steamer to a cab forward steamer. The (...) (24 years ago, 8-Dec-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Need some help with some Train specs

(...) I keep meaning to check it out, but I think you're right that it's close but not the same as O-Guage. Best thing to do for the modelers is to tell them this, and to also provide the measurement between the insides of the rails. (24 years ago, 8-Dec-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Need some help with some Train specs

(...) I'd call what we do somewhere between kitbashing and scratchbuilding. Another term sometimes used in the MRR hobby is kitmingling. To use a single term which would easily be understood by model railroaders, I would just say it's very much like (...) (24 years ago, 8-Dec-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Need some help with some Train specs

(...) Though you can run it on batteries (but doing so will electify the track). It would be good to show how the electrical connections work and demonstrate a lighted engine. (24 years ago, 8-Dec-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Need some help with some Train specs

In my perspective as a model railroader, LEGO is close to O but the "mini-figs" are WAY off on proportion. I have seen a person convert an O track into a lego track(doesnt look good). The voltage is different on O from Lego, he just used an adapter (...) (24 years ago, 8-Dec-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Need some help with some Train specs

For all intents and purposes, LEGO trains are "O" scale, which is 1:48. The track gauge for O is 1.25" (32 mm) while LEGO track gauge is about 1.5" (38 mm), so they are close. Now check out these dudes: (URL) you can see, they are about the same (...) (24 years ago, 8-Dec-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Need some help with some Train specs

(...) Gauge on straight track appears to be 1.494" This makes it around .25" bigger than O, and .25 smaller than Gauge 1. Right up the middle...what a Lego answer... James (24 years ago, 8-Dec-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Need some help with some Train specs

I wanted to say we don't "kit-bash" but "scratch" build, but I have seen modified Metroliners, Train Stations.... so, we do both! As for guage, I tell the story that "L" guage was determined by the original LEGO wheel set back in the 1960's. The (...) (24 years ago, 9-Dec-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Need some help with some Train specs

(...) So we could call it "1/2 gauge". :-) /Eric McC/ (24 years ago, 9-Dec-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Need some help with some Train specs

(...) But, you see...there is already a 1/2" scale. In fact, there are 2 widely modeled 1/2" scale's (LGB, and 1/2" scale/2.5" gauge) So, it would confuse the issue. I think Lego gauge is best, since it does fit all (offical) lego trains ever made. (...) (24 years ago, 9-Dec-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Need some help with some Train specs

Thanks for the track numbers everyone, I will refer to it as L-gauge or LEGO gauge, but it will be nice to have some hard fast number to throw out also. Kit-bash and Scratch are terms I've used with them before, even though we still have different (...) (24 years ago, 9-Dec-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Need some help with some Train specs

minimum about 27 1/3" Maximum is basically anything its just how big you want to make it that matters. (...) (24 years ago, 9-Dec-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Need some help with some Train specs

curve radius is measureed how? 1) from center of circle to inner rail 2) from center of circle to outer rail 3) from center of circle to middle of both rails (tie) SteveB (...) (24 years ago, 9-Dec-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Need some help with some Train specs

Good question, I don't know how other scales measure their radius. I just get the question a lot at shows. I guess I could just measure all three and that way I'm set either way. I'll do that in the morning, I'm too tired from sorting this evening. (...) (24 years ago, 9-Dec-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Need some help with some Train specs

For some reason I believe it is to the center of the rails. Make a circle and measure screw hole to screw hole/2... I guess that's easy enough. Or take three road plats and measure in studs. Ben Fleskes knows this one off the top of his head. Anyway (...) (24 years ago, 9-Dec-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Need some help with some Train specs

I am sorry but thats not how ya' do it. The turn radius is basically measuring how wide a half a circle of track is from the outer track across the half circle to the outer track on the opposite side. check out this drawing it will help. (URL) term (...) (24 years ago, 9-Dec-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Radius of the track (was Re: Need some help with some Train specs)

"kai brodersen" <cbrodersen@mediaone.net> wrote in message news:G5B5E8.FvM@lugnet.com... (...) from the middle of the circle to the track. IIRC the center of the track is used when measuring the radius of train tracks). (...) Sorry for nitpicking, (...) (24 years ago, 9-Dec-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Radius of the track (was Re: Need some help with some Train specs)

Ok i am sorry but again this is how it works! The term Radius(in model railroading) originates from the fact that you take a half circle of track and measure it from one outside track to the other outside. The term TURN RADIUS(in model railroading) (...) (24 years ago, 9-Dec-00, to lugnet.trains)

kai brodersen wrote in message ... (...) radius You're still wrong Kai. Nor are you the only model railroader here. Take any issue of Model Railroader and find a track plan. Compare the scale on the plan to the stated minimum RADIUS and you'll see (...) (24 years ago, 10-Dec-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Radius of the track (was Re: Need some help with some Train specs)

You know what i was tought the way i wrote down, and if you want to argue fine, just come over to my house and see i have a working railroad based on that concept. Maybe there are different ways for finding the turn radius and i relized the fact (...) (24 years ago, 10-Dec-00, to lugnet.trains)

kai brodersen wrote in message ... (...) There you are then - now we're talking about the same thing! Divide the diameter (edge to edge) by 2 and you get the radius (centre to edge). Kevin (24 years ago, 11-Dec-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Need some help with some Train specs

These data are from a handbook of TRAIN model, you will see the gauge is not only by width between rail, also by scale of model. Zhengrong Type Width of Rail Scare in Japan in USA in Europe in UK 1 45mm 1/30 1/32 1/32 1/32 O 32mm 1/45 1/48 1/45 (...) (24 years ago, 11-Dec-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Need some help with some Train specs

(...) Gauge is -nothing- to do with scale. The proof can be had with N scale (or 2mm scale, if you use UK conventions) Why? Because, 2mm scale, Standard gauge, works out to 9.42mm track gauge. Not 9mm. So, if you are running you "scale" 1/148th (...) (24 years ago, 11-Dec-00, to lugnet.trains)