 Trains / 6922
Re: multi train dogbone
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 18:09:53 GMT

Thanks Jeff! Really cool! But I can't find the .OCX link
Some questions:
Have you run 2 CLabs from one PC? from one application? that would proivide 16
INs/16 OUTs!

Also have you pulsed the trains via the CLab, the speed control granularity is
really bad and it would be cool to add "momentum"
SteveB

In lugnet.trains, Jeff Elliott writes:

sebarile-MOBL wrote:

Jeff,
I saw some source on Dr Dobbs about a year or so ago but it was incomplete.
Have you seen something that worked? I got two of these controllers and • would
love to get some really complex action going on the layouts in the future!
SteveB

Steve,

Sure have!

Here's a URL; you're looking for Lego.ocx, but all the docs &
descriptions
are there, too.  I'm not sure that *all* of the functionality works
flawlessly, but certainly most of it does.  You need Windows.

http://troyda.sas.muohio.edu/paper2.html

I used it to write my "Grand Trunk Railway" software in Visual Basic:
this
was a crude NetDDE server / client set which allowed the various PCs on
the network at work to control the train on a simple layout.  I had
sensors in front of each desk and near the end of the line.  You could
set
the throttle directly, or you could check off which desk you wanted it
stop at.  It would stop the train if the train was headed toward the end
of the line and the sensor tripped; this prevented gung-ho colleagues
from
running the train off the end of the track.  All of the throttle
controls
on the various clients moved synchronously, so you could see someone
else
move the throttle, too.  I didn't webify it, but that'd be possible.

We had an engine, an M&Ms car, a vitamin C car, a CD carrier, and three
beer cars. (I work for a great company).

The only serious problem I had was that the Control Lab seemed to cut
out
intermittently when driving a heavy train (three beer bottles), or when
accelerating hard.  I think there may be a current limiter inside the
control lab; someone with more electronics background would be able to
tell you more.  It was still operable though; mostly an aesthetic issue.

If you're desperate to see the software I wrote, in all its glorious
bugs,
I can post the source code and binaries somewhere.

Jeff