 Trains / 6908
Re: multi train dogbone
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 21:24:29 GMT

Dan Boger wrote:

On Mon, Aug 14, 2000 at 02:18:53AM +0000, James J. Trobaugh wrote:
The issue I ran into with my non-LEGO controled layout was the the light
sensors were detecting the gaps between cars and assuming the the coast was
clear when it really wasn't. So I ended up setting up parameters that said the
the light sensor had to be clear for a selected amount of time (aprox 5s). I
was wondering if you were able (or did) anything like this with your layout.

In this case, this was not a problem.  However, in a different project,
Tom Cook designed an automated level crossing that had to deal with long
trains across multiple tracks.  The solution he came up with is very similar
to yours.  The light sensor had to be clear for a certain amount of time,
(I believe he set it to 1/2 a second) before the track was considered
clear.  The same solution could be applied in this case, if there was a
need.

:)

Dan

I've done this before in a rudimentary layout controlled by a Control
Lab
(8 Inputs, 8 outputs, needs a PC).  My tactic was to angle the light
sensor
in both the horizontal and vertical planes.  It looks about 30 degrees
back
along the direction of travel, and about 30 degrees down.  That way it
can
cope with train cars using various heights, and it never 'sees' the gap
between cars; one car is always in the way.

I liked this solution, since it required no programming, and I was
already
having trouble with the latency of the controller.

Jeff Elliott