 Trains / 5109
  matching motor speeds on mutli-motor trains

Today, when my green trolley rearended my red trolley I decided to test my motors. I ranked them in order of speed. Then I thought that it would be bad to have a fast motor paired with a slow motor. I thought that pairing motors with dissimilar (...) (24 years ago, 27-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: matching motor speeds on mutli-motor trains

(...) I've been thinking the same thing. I almost always put two motors on each loco and I'm beginning to suspect that some of my biggest mismatches, which I've perhaps left that way for too long, have actually been causing damage to one motor or (...) (24 years ago, 27-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: matching motor speeds on mutli-motor trains

(...) loco (...) I've (...) one (...) Actually there's no problem at all. This topic has been deeply discussed in the lugnet.robotics ng: (URL) (some train specific examples in this message) (URL) (24 years ago, 27-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: matching motor speeds on mutli-motor trains

(...) I'm not sure that this would cause that much problem unless the mismatch was very bad, unless you're really stressing out the motors with long trains (though I doubt we ever really get close to the load capacity of the motors due to the (...) (24 years ago, 27-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: matching motor speeds on mutli-motor trains

(...) intuitively felt there wasn't a problem, but don't have the analog electrical knowledge to describe exactly how it isn't a problem. With a train motor (LEGO or real) there's another factor which will help balance extremely imbalanced motors, (...) (24 years ago, 27-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: matching motor speeds on mutli-motor trains

(...) problem in using multiple units together. It's hazy to me, but it revolves around gearing. I seem to recally that locos that are geared differently could not be MUed together because of the speed difference at the same throttle setting. (...) (...) (24 years ago, 27-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: matching motor speeds on mutli-motor trains

(...) Ya, there are 2 "standard" gearing setups, one which maxes out at something like 97 MPH and one at 112 MPH. You cannot MU otherwise compatable equipment that has the different gearings. Also, note, you cannot MU things like SW1xxx's with say (...) (24 years ago, 27-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: matching motor speeds on mutli-motor trains

(...) In 12V days there was a service pack available with extra rubber tires if your original ones (from the 12V motor) perished or were otherwise damaged. This service pack is now highly prized as it's been out of prod for 20ish years. I am 2000 (...) (24 years ago, 27-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: matching motor speeds on mutli-motor trains

(...) Yep, there's a black o-ring around each of the motor wheels, they ride on top of each rail. The weight of the motor helps provide traction (prototypical, eh Lar?), that's why I put at least two or three weight elements in each of my (...) (24 years ago, 27-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: matching motor speeds on mutli-motor trains

(...) Another way, perhaps not as accurate, but possibly more exciting would be to set up a largish oval of track, with power connection(s) symmetrically positioned. Put the motors back-to-back at one of the power connections, and run the motors (...) (24 years ago, 27-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: matching motor speeds on mutli-motor trains

(...) That could be a problem, but I wouldn't expect that much wheel slippage (I'd make a SWAG that the power difference which is taken up by wheel slippage would be 5% or less of the total power difference). I'd also wonder how it would compare to (...) (24 years ago, 27-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: matching motor speeds on mutli-motor trains

(...) I've noticed that the small (and stupid) engines that come with the 4559 & 4560/1 slip VERY easy. The 4565 engine is pretty good. But the all time best is my RCX Train. With the RCX right above the motor it NEVER slips! Even with 20 cars! The (...) (24 years ago, 27-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: matching motor speeds on mutli-motor trains

(...) I would recommend running 1 motor with a standard payload. Put it at the start of the track. Then time how long it takes to get to point B. Switch motors and repeat. Also. You can also set the power for an amount of time. Then measure to see (...) (24 years ago, 27-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: matching motor speeds on mutli-motor trains

(...) Just add about $1 worth of pennies to your locos...that works great as ballast. I had my Metroliner with a battery box in it for a while (6V, by blanking 2 batteries off) and it ran fine up and down any imaginable hill. James (24 years ago, 28-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: matching motor speeds on mutli-motor trains

I only have 7 motors, so I raced them. I started two motors next to each other, one in front of the other, and race in the forward direction and then in the opposite direction. My oldest motor is MUCH slower than my fastest. So, since I have gone (...) (24 years ago, 28-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: matching motor speeds on mutli-motor trains

OK, I read the articles and basically there is not problem running two motors together. But if a new motor is run with an old motor the new motor will wear out faster than if it were run with a second new motor. So, if you want all your engines to (...) (24 years ago, 28-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)