 Trains / 4068
Re: Favorite Lego Train?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2000 18:22:04 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:

Seems to me, as if we people in good old Europe have a little different view • on
trains (exept from James Mathis of course). Like Arjen, most of my frieds
like the trains from the early 80ies most.

I lived for 1/2 year in England in 1981.  I was 11 years old.  At this time I
got to see, touch, and experience the LEGO 12volt trains that LEGO USA was, and
had been, denying availability in the USA.  I was awestruck.  I simply couldn't
believe what I was seeing back then:  LEGO trains!  New gray track.  Wonderful
minifigure models that would fit so well in to my extensive LEGO Town
collection.  I believe that was the begining of my fascination with LEGO System
Trains.

Maybe this is, in part, why I am attracted to modeling European trains?  Both
living there, all-be-it briefly in England, then riding Eurail about Northern
Europe.  All when I was at the influential age of 11.

I'm of the opinion 1983 was the greatest year for Lego®-trains which has
never been topped since.

This is my vote, as well.  I am in full agreement of this list.  However, I
might add/change that my favorite 12volt freight train set is 7730.  7730 Goods
train maintains the red motor and drive rods as in 7727, but I think 7730 has a
more interesting complement of freight cars than does 7727 (in my opinion).
7730 lacks the unique red drive rod piston "covers" that are used in 7727.
7730 uses the standard black drive rod piston "covers".

As I could only do in 1981:  dream of getting any of these excellent 12v LEGO
trains.  Of those listed below, including the 7730, I can still only dream of
having these trains, for I only have the 7740, 7815, and 7819 sets.
I share the same dream as many here, to be able to have the rest of the 12v
train sets, for they were, and still are, very beautiful models.

All these plus more waggons have been available in 1983:

7740 nicest passenger train ever!
7750 nicest steam engine ever (already discontinued, but still in shelfs)
7760 nicest shunter (discontinued also)
7727 simply the best goods train (red motor with red wheels + connecting rods)
7755 heavy diesel engine
7725 rare red trolley like train
7815 sleeping car
7819 mail van

Thanks for activating my fond memories, Ben.
I remember distinctly being on a train in Germany in 1981 and seeing
a LEGO Train advertisement on the wall of our seating compartment.  The
advertisement showed a variation on a cover of one of the LEGO train catalogs
out at the time:  The 7750 black steam locomotive rounding a curve of 12v gray
track as blue-suited rail workers in red hard hats were laying new train track
on the line.  I sat and stared at that advertisement nearly the whole trip.
What a LEGO geek!

later,
James Mathis