 Trains / 3729
  Train Control

Does anyone have any idea is it at all possible to integrate Digital Command Control (DCC) from the hobby train market with lego trains ? It sure would be nice to be able to run several trains indepedant of each other...I wonder if two of the most (...) (24 years ago, 21-Jan-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train Control

That's a good question. I'm an N-scale model railroader and use DCC exclusively. I've never thought about using it on my Legos. I will do some investigation. What Lego systems do you have? Doug wrote in message ... (...) Command (...) be (...) if (...) (24 years ago, 21-Jan-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train Control

(...) Check out (URL) GMLTC (remove the '.nospam' to reply...) (24 years ago, 21-Jan-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train Control

OK, so finish out the details on the page as noted at the bottom, I want to get cracking on building it ;-) With 4 trains planned and multiple switches/crossovers, I NEED this system ;-) I could take my Libretto to shows/meetings for custom (...) (24 years ago, 21-Jan-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train Control

(...) get (...) Tom, I don't think that Matt has done anything else with DCC in a while. Perhaps trying a search here in .trains for DCC will bring you up what he had done last...but I am reasonably sure that he had gotten it to a working stage, and (...) (24 years ago, 21-Jan-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train Control

In lugnet.trains, James Powell writes: <snip> (...) Sounds to me like you need more track!! ;-) John1, GMLTC (24 years ago, 21-Jan-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train Control

(...) My wife would _KILL_ me, I have >500 pieces of straight track as it is... (likely, I will get more when I am going back to BC, as we will go back through Ontario, and we will be able to go to the Lego store in St Jacobs, and get track, by the (...) (24 years ago, 21-Jan-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train Control

> (...) Correct. I haven't time to even think about it lately. I got it kinda working but I wasn't too happy with the performance. The Digitrax decoder behaved rather erratically, another decoder behaved better. Since then I haven't had time to (...) (24 years ago, 21-Jan-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train Control

Well, I just burnt up my last remaining motor a month or so ago, so I can't really test the DCC equipment. I've done some searching in NMRA site and have found some good sources to custom build boosters, decoders, and command stations. As for (...) (24 years ago, 21-Jan-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train Control

(...) through (...) Do you get a discount when you buy that much of it? -Steve (24 years ago, 21-Jan-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train Control

the way I see it, is that you need the PC or the DCC throttle for addressing of the decoders in the engines. They also allow you to choose the address which controls the engine itself. I don't think the shell controller could be capable of doing (...) (24 years ago, 21-Jan-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train Control

(...) What about using some off the shelf controller instead of integrating with a computer? What are the trade offs? -Steve (24 years ago, 21-Jan-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train Control

I used to be into "real" model railroading when I was young, and have been wondering when someone would get DCC to work with Lego. The day someone accomplishes this is probably the day I get into Lego trains. :) -- Paul Davidson Matthew Bates (...) (24 years ago, 21-Jan-00, to lugnet.trains)

  The Challenge (was Re: Train Control)

You heard it here: Paul Davidson will join the train group as a full fledged trainiac when DCC is perfected with LEGO trains! How many more people will DCC bring into the fold? Only one way to tell... Paul, we will be seeing you here with increasing (...) (24 years ago, 21-Jan-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train Control

(...) through (...) Hi, in wich part of Ontario St-Jacobs is and who much to a track box cost? Who come do they have them since they are s@H exclusif? Martin (24 years ago, 21-Jan-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train Control

(...) come (...) Martin - I think he's referring to the outlet stores there. In particular, the Countryside Toy Outlet. Here's a portion of the web page: COUNTRYSIDE TOY OUTLET Exclusively LEGO Products Featuring the full current LEGO Product line (...) (24 years ago, 21-Jan-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train Control

(...) The biggest problem is the ease of destroying your Lego motor by supplying too much current because the voltage will be too high. The train motor does appear to have some type of thermal overload protection in it but I couldn't see an easy way (...) (24 years ago, 21-Jan-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train Control

(...) Matt, how about setting the max. voltage of the decoder to 9V? I know some of the digitrax decoders (and the Lenz/Marklin) ones you can do this. James P (24 years ago, 21-Jan-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: The Challenge (was Re: Train Control)

Mike Poindexter <lego@poindexter.cc> wrote in message news:FopEn1.Kp7@lugnet.com... (...) tell... (...) Heheh.. I already read the group (I'm interested in trains obviously, I just haven't got any yet). Half the reason I *would* get into lego (...) (24 years ago, 21-Jan-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: The Challenge (was Re: Train Control)

I just had a random thought as to how TLC could give us some capability to run multiple trains without having to go the whole DCC route. Give us a new train motor which has an IR pickup, and a switch to set it to respond to the A, B, or C motor (...) (24 years ago, 22-Jan-00, to lugnet.trains)

Frank Filz <ffilz@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:Foq00p.qz@lugnet.com... (...) new (...) the (...) lighting (...) Wouldn't line-of-sight be a problem for trains? I don't know much about Mindstorms infrared sensors specifically, but besides (...) (24 years ago, 22-Jan-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: The Challenge (was Re: Train Control)

(...) Theoretically you need it only to change a setting... so just make sure that all your potential crashes happen in front of you! :-) (...) (24 years ago, 22-Jan-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: The Challenge (was Re: Train Control)

you'd need to deal with the (...) etc. Only if you want the train to stop in the tunnel. IR (can) have good propagation, my IR remote for my stereo works fine bounced off the wall, but it has to be pointed in somewhat the right direction (1 bounce (...) (24 years ago, 22-Jan-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: The Challenge (was Re: Train Control)

On Sat, 22 Jan 2000, James Powell (<Foqo64.7Ax@lugnet.com>) wrote at 13:30:04 (...) Or you could use magic, and do it with mirrors :-) (...) (24 years ago, 22-Jan-00, to lugnet.trains)

  50's Streamliner

G'Day Also for train buffs don't forget about the 50's Streamliner that runs between Kitchener-Waterloo and St Jacobs. I can not find a schedule but check out www.stjacobs.com (519-746-1950 ??) Cheers Oliver Ed McGlynn <ejmcglynn@juno.com> wrote in (...) (24 years ago, 22-Jan-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train Control

(...) Has anyone checked out this website? (URL) 60 (24 years ago, 22-Jan-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: The Challenge (was Re: Train Control)

(...) There was a thread here a while ago about modifying a motor to supply power to the aux connector that powers an RCX. The RCX powers the Motor. I've done just that. Here are some quick pics: (URL) (24 years ago, 22-Jan-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train Control

Bingo!! I just realized this earlier today and need to test that, but my Lego motor is burned up and need a replacement...... James Powell wrote in message ... (...) too (...) of (...) (24 years ago, 23-Jan-00, to lugnet.trains)

Tony Priestman <Tony@you-rang.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:n++WUhAZKci4EwO...n.co.uk... (...) but it (...) the (...) Or if you wanted to remain Lego pure, use a stack of silver 2x4 bricks... Mike Poindexter (24 years ago, 24-Jan-00, to lugnet.trains)