 Trains / 28409
Re: Prepare to cry: 2007 train pics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 6 Jan 2007 17:27:59 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Dave Curtis wrote:

   This may be a dumb question -- I’ve never had a close-up look at a piece of R/C track -- is there something about it that prevents simply using some 9V straights and curves as “donors” for a metal transplant?

It’s not a dumb question, but a good one. The reason is that the 9v track is molded slightly differently to account for the height of the metal, therefore making the final dimensions the same with the older, plastic rails (dimensions to which the new single mold pieces of track adhere).

In short, to add metal on top, one would need to first carve out a channel to make it compatible in height to regular 9 volt track.

HTH,

JOHN